Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Explain what the strike zone is?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by BigYellowBalls » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:35 pm

Question for Umpires.
What is the definition of the strike zone and why is it different for each umpire behind the plate?
Shouldn't it be consistant with the hitter?
BigYellowBalls

by wadeintothem » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:51 pm

Que Sam.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by BigYellowBalls » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:56 pm

wadeintothem wrote:Que Sam.

?
BigYellowBalls

by SnocatzDad » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:02 pm

If I had to average every umpire I've seen I'd say the practical zone is belt to knees and your more likely to get a strike call one ball below the knees than one ball above the belt for most umpires.

I have NEVER in fastpitch seen an umpire consistantly call a stike on a ball that most would judge travelled part way through the plane of the armpits and over the plate.

Sam likes to rant on this issue hence the comment from Wade.
SnocatzDad

by BigYellowBalls » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:07 pm

SnocatzDad wrote:If I had to average every umpire I've seen I'd say the practical zone is belt to knees and your more likely to get a strike call one ball below the knees than one ball above the belt for most umpires.

I have NEVER in fastpitch seen an umpire consistantly call a stike on a ball that most would judge travelled part way through the plane of the armpits and over the plate.

Sam likes to rant on this issue hence the comment from Wade.

So you are saying the strike zone is from the belt to the knees and across the plate?
If so that is not what I thought. I thought it was from the chest to the knees.
Thanks for replying to the post.
BigYellowBalls

by SnocatzDad » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:13 pm

I said practical strike zone (i.e. what gets enforced)

Technical strike zone is "armpits to top of knees over the plate"
SnocatzDad

by dodgerblue » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:15 pm

Over the plate!
dodgerblue

by SnocatzDad » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:18 pm

From MLB

The Strike Zone: A historical timeline
1996 - The Strike Zone is expanded on the lower end, moving from the top of the knees to the bottom of the knees.

1988 - "The Strike Zone is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the top of the knees. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball."

1969 - "The Strike Zone is that space over home plate which is between the batter's armpits and the top of his knees when he assumes a natural stance. The umpire shall determine the Strike Zone according to the batter's usual stance when he swings at a pitch."

1963 - "The Strike Zone is that space over home plate which is between the top of the batter's shoulders and his knees when he assumes his natural stance. The umpire shall determine the Strike Zone according to the batter's usual stance when he swings at a pitch."

1957 - "A strike is a legal pitch when so called by the umpire which (a) is struck at by the batter and is missed; (b) enters the Strike Zone in flight and is not struck at; (c) is fouled by the batter when he has less than two strikes at it; (d) is bunted foul; (e) touches the batter as he strikes at it; (f) touches the batter in flight in the Strike Zone; or (g) becomes a foul tip. Note: (f) was added to the former rule and definition."

looks like most umps use the MLB description roughly as opposed to the one printed in the ASA rulebook, not sure why they wouldn't just update the book.
SnocatzDad

by rediman » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:05 pm

Okay....."armpits to the top of the knees...." that's the easy part, Now define "over the plate".
I saw strikes called last weekend at least 3" into the batter's box. I understand giving the pitcher the "river" but that is unfair.
rediman

by BigYellowBalls » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:21 pm

SnocatzDad wrote:I said practical strike zone (i.e. what gets enforced)

Technical strike zone is "armpits to top of knees over the plate"

Understandable. Why does it seem that every umpire seems to have their own strike zone determined? Is the calling the strike zone taught to them when learning to be a umpire?

Another question that seems to elude umpires that I have asked.
If the batter is in front of the plate in the box is the strike zone established from where the batter is positioned or does it stay where the batter would be if aligned with the plate? (If that makes sense)
I am trying to understand this so I don't get so upset when I see what I think is a bad call. :o
I coach and am a parent of a pitcher so if i can understand where she needs to pitch the ball it will help her and my other pitchers.
BigYellowBalls

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner