Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

thanku umpires

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:51 am

we all know people are always picking on the Umpires. just wanted to take a moment to say
Thank you!
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:31 am

Being an umpire is a thankless job and most people only notice when the make a (perceived) mistake. I would say in my experience most umpires do a terrific job, for too little pay and way too much abuse. I have found most umps to be great and I found it was great to talk to umps between games at tournaments to get to understand the rules better. I still don't know how umps manage to understand all the different rules each governing org. use.

Thank you umps-it would be hard to have games without you.
jonriv

by MTR » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:42 am

I have found most umps to be great and I found it was great to talk to umps between games at tournaments to get to understand the rules better.

Between games is a bit inappropriate, but at the end of tournament or that night's set of games, I have always made myself available to the players and coaches to ask any question they want. I would give or get them an answer to whatever non-TWP they may have. If I have a rule book handy, I will show them the rule(s) pertaining to the question at hand. IMO, it can be part of the educational process and benefits both players and umpires.

Unfortunately, some people just make it difficult to have a civilized discussion, mainly because they are more about justifying their beliefs of a certain rule and will argue when that is not what they receive. In those cases, it is just better to walk away since nothing good can come of that type of situation.
MTR

by jonriv » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:00 pm

Not sure of it being inappropriate? It’s softball, not a murder trial!?!?? Hell, as a parent I have talked to umps between innings. Travel and college. I figured it was common courtesy and learned a lot. It’s amazing how much you learn when you are non-confrontational, ask opened ended questions, and treat the person as the expert on the subject(which they are)
jonriv

by MTR » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:54 am

jonriv wrote:Not sure of it being inappropriate? It’s softball, not a murder trial!?!?? Hell, as a parent I have talked to umps between innings. Travel and college. I figured it was common courtesy and learned a lot. It’s amazing how much you learn when you are non-confrontational, ask opened ended questions, and treat the person as the expert on the subject(which they are)

Not suggesting you are doing or expecting anything inappropriate, but it is the perception of other teams who witness this. They don't know the subject of the conversation and if they end up playing the team from which the other person was a part and there is what they perceive as a bad call or one that just doesn't go their way, the next words from that team/coach will be about how you and the other individual are buddies and there is some home cooking going on. I know you know it doesn't need to be true to become problematic.

I've witnessed this as an umpire and UIC from the state to the national level. It is just something that should be avoided to prevent any misconceptions. I believe it is a shame that this is how some people think and react.. It is all about maintaining the integrity of the game and all participants.

From the USA Umpire Manual:

E. Have no conversation with fans or participants. If confronted, be polite and
excuse yourself to get ready for your next assignment.
MTR

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:15 pm

Understandable about the perception of umpire being neutral.
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:34 pm

Just a little story.

About 20+ years ago, I was working an ASA Co-Ed Regional in DE. In the championship game, F4 of a team from Pittsburgh turned and said, "you must be hot as hell in those long pants". I told him it would be much hotter the following weekend when I was working National in Lakeland, FL. He tells me his company team was playing in a national in Lakeland. After the tournament, a couple of these guys sought me out in the umpire area and said they would see me next week. I warned them that any acknowledgement would be casual as I cannot really associate with players at the tournament.

Well, back then tournament hosts made a point of trying to put up umpires at a hotel away from the teams. Well, I was checked in and talking to the tournament UIC when a group of players showed up and guess where they were from? I was coming back from the head when I heard them talking to the UIC, telling him they had met an umpire the previous week, but noted that I warned them that I really couldn't be friendly with them. The UIC confirmed that and assured them that would be better for everyone.

Well, guess who drew their 1st game. I was working 3rd and about the 4th inning these guys were very unhappy with the umpire working the plate. The umpire wasn't bad, they just weren't doing well and blamed him. All of a sudden I, and everyone else, heard a player from their dugout scream, "let the guy from Delawar call balls and strikes". I felt like crawling into a hole as the opposing team (Miami,FL, 3rd base dugout) were all staring at me like I was the enemy. Luckily there were no plays the rest of that game that involved any close calls on my behalf and they ended up losing their first game.

That actually threw a kink into the umpires schedule since it "appeared" I was friendly with this team to all those on the complex at that time. Turns out, this team came back to win the tournament out of the loser's bracket which is pretty good in a 54 team tournament.

Point being, familiarity is not the umpire's, UIC's or TD's friend and can turn a tournament sour for some teams. BTW, after the tournament was over, had a nice conversation with some of the players. Very nice guys.
MTR

by slapperdad » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:13 am

Sue Trubovitz, Turbo wrote:we all know people are always picking on the Umpires. just wanted to take a moment and say thank you to the umpires!

recently just read some great postings about applying rules to pitchers that slapperDad wrote In the California discussion forum.
really well written piece and great explanation of an interpretation of how to look at the level of softball games they are officiating and how to apply the technical rules and process behind it, when rules should or should not be applied. I thought it was such a good piece. Maybe you could copy it and post it here so others could read.
Under a different heading to attract readers?! It was very understandable and informative!!
what a great career you've had behind the plate Mr. Slapperdad !!

Thanks for being involved in softball!!

I remember my first job in high school. found this in a keepsake box...

Thank you for the kind words, now that I know this forum is here, I'll try to be more active. I haven't had that many years behind the plate. I think probably 12 or so altogether with a 7 year hiatus in there while I was coaching HS ball. Then took a year off to watch my daughter's final year of college. This Saturday night will start my 36th year of Football, so I have been around officiating a while, and have had some great teachers and mentors, just trying to give back.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

Return to The Umpire Corner