Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

PGF Rules

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by The Big Dog » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:55 pm

Premier has put up links to their qualifiers in Indiana and Texas and both are indicating that NCAA rules will apply. Now this is good at some levels (no more hassling with girls to take off their jewelry?) but it definitely changes substitutions if I'm not mistaken (only starters can re-enter and no courtesy runners for the pitcher and catcher?). Does anyone know what the significant rule differences are between ASA and NCAA?

Depending on what they are, it would seem to me that there could potentially be major game management decisions (can't use your late inning defensive replacement as a pinch runner in the 4th because she can't re-enter?) affected by the differences...
The Big Dog

by Jalamander » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:38 pm

Jalamander

by The Big Dog » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:45 pm

Jalamander - Great resource! Thanks.
The Big Dog

by MTR » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:44 pm

The Big Dog wrote: (no more hassling with girls to take off their jewelry?)

I'm not a fan of the strict no jewelry rule in HS and some of the umpire's judgment as it pertains to jewelry in ASA and other assns.

But there is a reason there is no rule in NCAA and that is because most players are "adults" (18yo+) and are legally responsible for their own actions.

If there is an issue involving jewelry at a younger age, some of the smaller minds may prevail and someone is going to end up in a courtroom because someone has to be blamed and that sucks for all involved on all levels.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:24 pm

MTR wrote:
The Big Dog wrote: (no more hassling with girls to take off their jewelry?)

I'm not a fan of the strict no jewelry rule in HS and some of the umpire's judgment as it pertains to jewelry in ASA and other assns.

But there is a reason there is no rule in NCAA and that is because most players are "adults" (18yo+) and are legally responsible for their own actions.

If there is an issue involving jewelry at a younger age, some of the smaller minds may prevail and someone is going to end up in a courtroom because someone has to be blamed and that sucks for all involved on all levels.

SO ... in ASA slow pitch adult leagues we are making men & women remove jewelry ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by wadeintothem » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:06 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:

SO ... in ASA slow pitch adult leagues we are making men & women remove jewelry ...

As long as ur tuckin em in at night too... :lol:
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MTR » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:12 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:

Not me unless it is dangerous to ANOTHER player (watch, ring with stone or protrusion, etc). However, the ASA rule does address ALL participants and there are still umpires who apply the rule to adult ball the same as they do with 12 yo. Obviously, they are not very popular. OTOH, I apply the rule the same to the 12 yo as I do the adult. If it is not dangerous to other players, I don't care.

I simply stated that ASA and other orgs. have rules which pertain to the wearing of jewelry. The HS rule is strict, though it is starting to soften up just a little. The NCAA has no such rule.
MTR

Return to The Umpire Corner