Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Which coach can ask question to an ump?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by ice_67 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:32 pm

Is there a rule(ASA) that restricts which coach can ask questions to an umpire? We have 3 coaches, can anyone of them approach an ump and challenge a call or ask for an explaination? Please site the rule #. I couldn't find anything in the ASA rulebook, but I might have missed it.

Thanks
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

by cent » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:24 pm

Here was the situation. I wanted to challenge a call at 2nd base as the Head Coach. I went out to the field umpire to challenge his call or at least see if the other umpire might have seen it differently. Have done this since I have been coaching fastpitch softball for the 17 years I have been coaching.

The F1 said that I could not challenge the call as I did not attend the 'Home Plate' Meeting. That only the coach who went to the home plate meeting could challenge the call. I have never, never heard this in all my years. He told me it was in the ASA Rule Book.

Well, probably you umpires will not like how I handled this situation from there, but I was trying to prove a point. From then on I would go to that F1 umpire to challenge a call. He would tell me to go to the assistant coach who went to the home plate meeting. I would slowly walk back to the dugout and get my assistant coach to slowly walk out on the field to challenge the call.

Needless to say, this really slowed down the game which was ridiculous. Is there really such a rule.
cent
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:57 pm

cent wrote:Here was the situation. I wanted to challenge a call at 2nd base as the Head Coach. I went out to the field umpire to challenge his call or at least see if the other umpire might have seen it differently. Have done this since I have been coaching fastpitch softball for the 17 years I have been coaching.

The F1 said that I could not challenge the call as I did not attend the 'Home Plate' Meeting. That only the coach who went to the home plate meeting could challenge the call. I have never, never heard this in all my years. He told me it was in the ASA Rule Book.

Well, probably you umpires will not like how I handled this situation from there, but I was trying to prove a point. From then on I would go to that F1 umpire to challenge a call. He would tell me to go to the assistant coach who went to the home plate meeting. I would slowly walk back to the dugout and get my assistant coach to slowly walk out on the field to challenge the call.

Needless to say, this really slowed down the game which was ridiculous. Is there really such a rule.

Please clarify what you mean by F1 ... are you saying the Pitcher ( F1 ) told you this, the Plate Umpire or the Field Umpire ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by ice_67 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:09 pm

I think he meant to say FU or field ump, not F1.
ice_67

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:53 pm

Okay ... assuming 'cent' meant FU ... and re-reading his posted query ...( I can't believe they didn't send him to the parking lot ) ... Being a newb ump, I am not aware of any rule ( ASA, NSA or Fed ) that says only the Coach whom attended the pre game conference may ask to speak to an Umpire about a call, or ask an Ump if he/she will ask for help on a call ... But if I had to tell 'cent' more than once that I did not want to speak to him, only his Asst. Coach and he came onto the field to "challenge" :roll: my call ... well then hey-hey-hey-Goodbye 8-) ... When I am Coaching though, we typically send the Head Coach out on all requests to speak to an Umpire about getting clarification on a call, unless it happens right in front of a Coach in his Coaches Box ... Back in Rec ( Dixie Youth ) Regionals or Districts, when I was an Asst. Coach protesting a non-approved bat ... at some point they sent me back to the dugout and would only let the Head Coach speak to them while they resolved the issue and got the call correct ... I am interested to see what the more experienced Blues have on this ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Bretman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:03 pm

Sounds like the umpire was mixing in the high school rule, which does require the head coach to be present at the pregame conference.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:30 pm

Bretman wrote:Sounds like the umpire was mixing in the high school rule, which does require the head coach to be present at the pregame conference.

I looked at that too ... but couldn't find where it says that only the 'Head Coach' may speak to an Umpire ... ( NFHS ) It does say that a Base Coach may only speak to their own players, but I figured the spirit of that rule was to keep them from speaking to opposing players, not Umpires.
GIMNEPIWO

by SoCalASABlue » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:49 pm

ASA Rule 4, Section 7 does seem to imply that only one coach represents the team in communications with the umpire and the opposing team.

As a game management tool when I'm behind the plate, I tell each team that if there needs to be a discussion about my or my partner's rules interpretation, the discussion will be with only team rep - which is normally the coach or manager that attends the plate meeting.

Most coaches are usually OK with this.
SoCalASABlue

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:01 pm

SoCalASABlue wrote:ASA Rule 4, Section 7 does seem to imply that only one coach represents the team in communications with the umpire and the opposing team.

As a game management tool when I'm behind the plate, I tell each team that if there needs to be a discussion about my or my partner's rules interpretation, the discussion will be with only team rep - which is normally the coach or manager that attends the plate meeting.

Most coaches are usually OK with this.

It does say 'A Coach' ... but that does not mean he is 'the one and only' Coach ... like saying 'The Santa Claus' versus 'A Santa Claus' ...
GIMNEPIWO

by ice_67 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:16 pm

I think 4.7 implies that only a coach on the team can communicate with the umps vs. a spectator.
ice_67

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner