Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Is this really a gray area? C'mon Ump!

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Battle » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:12 am

We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by PairOfAces » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:34 am

Battle wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/umpire-confiscated-phillies-pitcher-austin-davis-cheat-sheet-mound-045415852.html

What do you think?

I say take it. He's a major league pitcher, he should be able to use the scouting reports, the pitches called by his coach/catcher, and his ability to control his pitches, and get batters out. And we don't need anything else to slow down this molasses paced game any further.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:13 pm

IMO, this is an over simplification of the rule. Throughout the book (well, 8 times) it refers to a foreign substance. The purpose of every point where this is mentioned refers to the application of some substance that will affect the ball during a pitch.

A cheat sheet does not meet the criteria to enforce the rule.
MTR

by josephrt1 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:49 pm

MTR, are you talking baseball or softball rules? Clearly in softball the USA rule book says "foreign substance upon the ball" Just curious if you were referring to softball or baseball with your response.

And in softball, for years, pitchers and other offense and defense players have been using the wrist bands with all the secret codes. It just can not be distracting to the batter if worn on the pitching arm.
josephrt1

by MTR » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:47 am

Referencing MLB rules
MTR

Return to The Umpire Corner