Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

who's call?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:18 am

Lb state tourny
2 base blues

Sinking Line Drive hit dead center field. Outfielder sprinting leans forward, glove swipes ....sorta a shoe string catch but eeah maybe not...The lawn was thick from all the rains and definitely soft ground. Home plate umpire raises his hand to signify the out. Blue at third base starts waving his hands and jogs in towards the home plate umpire. Decision is overruled. Question who should be calling that flyball in the first place?
Home or a base umpire?

In my view from behind the plate there was no way the home plate umpire could have clearly seen what that ball did. I was surprised he made a call on it.
The outfielder certainly didn't play it off like she knew she caught it either.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:59 am

Confusion for sure on that play. I was there too. Doesn’t seem like it would be the home plate umps call. But we got the call so all is good.
Go Dogs!
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:32 am

3rd base blue had the angle.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:39 am

And he’s the one who changed the call. He had the best angle. Sorry LB state.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:10 pm

Sounds like it went the way it should ... I'll try, NFHS 10-3-1 / in part ; The field umpire shall have concurrent jurisdiction with the plate umpire in calling time, illegal pitches, defacement or discoloration of the ball by a pitcher, when a fly ball is caught, or in disqualifying any player for blatant .... etc etc
In a 2 umpire set, it is usually the plate umpire who has the call on all outfield flies unless they decide otherwise prior to the game ... I never worked, but believe in a 3 umpire set it depends on how many runners are on base, which you didn't state.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:10 am

The rule only permits the BU to rule on a fly ball catch/no catch, but that is simply an allowance to make a ruling, not the right of way to make the call or overrule another umpire.

Unless the BU goes out for the call, this is the PUs call every time. And yes, it is not always the best angle, but the batted ball isn't always the only thing happening on the field.

In a 3-umpire system, the only time a BU doesn't go out on a fly ball is if their position is not on the foul line which the ball is traveling.

In any case, if a BU doesn't go out, the PU must make a call. Neither BU should open their mouth if they didn't go out. That said, any decent PU will go for help if asked on a play like this when asked. And an intelligent coach will ask.
MTR

Return to The Umpire Corner