Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Appealed Call At 1st Base

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by brown bomber » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:11 am

Your opinion please of this one. Bang - bang play at 1st. Batter/runner is called out. 3rd base coach asks BU to appeal call to PU. After conferring, the BU reverses call. The PU explaination is that BU asked him for his opinion, which he gave, but told him ultimately it was his call.
1st of all, my opinion is that BU should not have asked for help since he was closer to play and should only ask for help if there is a question if 1st basemen pulled her foot or bobbled the ball and that should have been his response to the coach. Otherwise, coaches would be appealing every close play, not that some don’t. I would understand if BU claimed he was screened from play but in this case call was reversed because of the PU “opinion”.
brown bomber

by MTR » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:14 pm

Do you know what the question was? Umpires don't just walk up to their partner and say "watcha got?"

What was the request based upon? Pulled foot by F3? I cannot think of any other reason.
MTR

by brown bomber » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:56 am

The plate umpire clearly told us that the base umpire asked him for his opinion on whether or not the batter/runner beat the throw .
By the way, since that game, we ran into the same umpire at another game and he apologized saying he should have never given the BU his opinion on whether or not batter/runner beat the throw. He said he should have just told the BU it was his call.
brown bomber

by SoftballAcademy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:36 am

It drives me up a wall when the Base umpire has a good look at a play and makes his/her call. Then the coach that the call was not in favor of calls time. Asking the BU to get help. Why does this happen so often? Because we as umpires allow it to happen. My response is simple and it goes like this: "Coach, I got a good look at the play. I have confidence in my umpire skills and I nailed that call". 8-)
SoftballAcademy
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:15 pm

SoftballAcademy wrote:It drives me up a wall when the Base umpire has a good look at a play and makes his/her call. Then the coach that the call was not in favor of calls time. Asking the BU to get help. Why does this happen so often? Because we as umpires allow it to happen. My response is simple and it goes like this: "Coach, I got a good look at the play. I have confidence in my umpire skills and I nailed that call". 8-)

Or just say,"no" and hustle back to your position :)
MTR

by notthisagain » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:57 am

If you lose by one run it was a good game. If you complain losing by one objective call, you're looking for an excuse.
notthisagain

Return to The Umpire Corner