Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Stalling...

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by lvtwft » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:20 pm

Quick question(s) to the intellectually incline here.
Time running out, 3 minutes left in the game, home team at the plate, 4th inn, they are down by 1, no runners on, and 2 outs. Visiting team does not want to play another inning and is trying to waste time until they get the 3rd out.
OK there is the set up. ( If I missed anything I am sure I will hear it..:)
ONCE the pitcher gets the ball, she has 20 seconds to pitch it.(the rule as I read it, if not then help me out)

1st question---Is it when she first touches the ball (throws ball to 1st and 20 seconds starts over once she gets the ball back)?

2nd---C throws ball to P and she misses it on purpose and it rolls to center field. Can the blue say she did it on purpose and penalize that team? If so, what penalty and how do you dertimine she did that?

3rd---2nd out was a K, Catcher throws ball around the infield. They keep throwing ball around with themselves and does not give the ball back to the P for a few min's. Ruling on this? (if there is a rules violation)

Thanks...
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"
Albert Einstein
lvtwft

by SoCalASABlue » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:06 pm

Assuming this is being played under ASA tournament rules...

Scenario #1 - Rule 6, Section 3, Item O: The pitcher has 20 seconds to release the next pitch after receiving the ball OR AFTER THE UMPIRE INDICATES "PLAY BALL". Penalty is a ball on the batter. The PU is not required to say "play ball", so hopefully he/she is counting and makes the appropriate call once he/she reaches 20 seconds. I would think, however, that most umpires would realize almost immediately what was happening and vocalize "play ball" to send the message that stalling is not going to be tolerated.

Scenario #2 - Lots of fun with this one. Any number of things the umpire could do, including informing the manager that the next time the pitcher tanked a throwback, his team would forfeit the game for unsportsmanlike conduct. Let him protest and explain to the TD.

Scenario #3 - Similar to #2 above. Vocalize "play ball" and if the shenanigans don't stop immediately, inform the manager that he is danger of forfeiting the game.

Best of luck to the PU that calls a forfeit...hopefully his/her car is not that far from the field :mrgreen:
SoCalASABlue

by 2bucketdad » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:21 pm

Call time and visit the pitcher, let her throw a pitch call time again and take a second trip out to the circle, bring in another pitcher, five warm up pitches and finish off the batter...stalling is an leagally is an art.
2bucketdad

by SoCalASABlue » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:15 pm

Completely agree that managing the clock is an art...but there obviously can be several downsides when making the "clock management" decision:

(1) shows little to no belief in and/or respect for own team's ability to at least hold that one run lead and win the game, which can then result in lots of time explaining to irate parents depending on how much they pay, how big a stud their DD pitcher is, etc.;
(2) depending on the umpire(s), can result as previously stated in a very ugly discussion with the TD; and
(3) what's good for the goose is good for the gander - but I haven't met a coach yet who doesn't completely believe the ends justifies the means when he is the one managing the clock but has the unmitigated gall to blow a gasket when it happens to him.
SoCalASABlue

by MTR » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:56 pm

lvtwft wrote:
1st question---Is it when she first touches the ball (throws ball to 1st and 20 seconds starts over once she gets the ball back)?

Speaking ASA

Either that or when the umpire indicates "play ball".

2nd---C throws ball to P and she misses it on purpose and it rolls to center field. Can the blue say she did it on purpose and penalize that team? If so, what penalty and how do you dertimine she did that?

The umpire just needs to indicate "play ball". If the ball is in center field, I guess the defense better hurry up and get the ball into the pitcher. If the pitcher doesn't pitch within 20 seconds, it is a ball on the batter. BTW, the 20 seconds is purely umpire judgment.

3rd---2nd out was a K, Catcher throws ball around the infield. They keep throwing ball around with themselves and does not give the ball back to the P for a few min's. Ruling on this? (if there is a rules violation)

Same as above. And like the 20 seconds, depending upon the tournament rules, the "clock" may be at the umpire's discretion. So, anytime the umpire needs to perform any type of duty, play (and possibly the clock) is suspended.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:14 pm

lvtwft wrote:Quick question(s) to the intellectually incline here.
Time running out, 3 minutes left in the game, home team at the plate, 4th inn, they are down by 1, no runners on, and 2 outs. Visiting team does not want to play another inning and is trying to waste time until they get the 3rd out.
OK there is the set up. ( If I missed anything I am sure I will hear it..:)
ONCE the pitcher gets the ball, she has 20 seconds to pitch it.(the rule as I read it, if not then help me out)

Thanks...

HMMM? 4 frosty beverages into the evening, but don't we have 'ball 1' here already ?
I'll look it up to be sure ... unless someone beats me to it, please ...

EDIT: Okay, I couldn't find a rule to quote unless she was in contact with the rubber. The 'called ball' I was looking for must have been the catcher throwing to an unoccupied base.

QUOTE from OP:
"3rd---2nd out was a K, Catcher throws ball around the infield. They keep throwing ball around with themselves and does not give the ball back to the P for a few min's. Ruling on this? (if there is a rules violation)"

Many of the NSA Tournies here in VA have nipped this in the bud ... There is no throwing the ball around the infield irregardless of the inning or situation ...
Last edited by GIMNEPIWO on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by THE MAD-DOG99 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:23 pm

Sorry to high jack, but made me think of a question...what is the rule or in the umpires opinion on a girl who quick pitches..?

Had it happen a few weeks ago..first time ...girl would get the ball back and immediately start..wouldn't wait for batter to set...even had her doing it when batter had 1 foot out..blue then started to hold up hand and then motion to pitch...but she kept doing this for a few innings..batter would take sign and as soon as both feet were in she would pitch...
THE MAD-DOG99

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:01 pm

THE MAD-DOG99 wrote:Sorry to high jack, but made me think of a question...what is the rule or in the umpires opinion on a girl who quick pitches..?

Had it happen a few weeks ago..first time ...girl would get the ball back and immediately start..wouldn't wait for batter to set...even had her doing it when batter had 1 foot out..blue then started to hold up hand and then motion to pitch...but she kept doing this for a few innings..batter would take sign and as soon as both feet were in she would pitch...

That is declared a 'no-pitch' ... ASA 6-10-B , NFHS 6-4-B
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:35 pm

THE MAD-DOG99 wrote:Sorry to high jack, but made me think of a question...what is the rule or in the umpires opinion on a girl who quick pitches..?

The umpire never should have allowed it and if the pitcher continued to throw through the umpire's stop sign, the coach would have gotten one visit. If it didn't stop, she, and maybe the coach, would be gone.
MTR

by lvtwft » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
You know a team does this kind of tactics, and you are behind with time running out and want to inform the ump of this..Just so they nip it in the bud early on.
Best way to approach a blue in this instance? In your opinions....
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"
Albert Einstein
lvtwft

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner