Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

I survived FL. Rising Stars 2010

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by HugoTafurst » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:51 pm

Would have posted sooner, but had to wait for my fingers to thaw.
HugoTafurst

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:22 pm

Forgot your gloves?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by HugoTafurst » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:37 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Forgot your gloves?

Used gloves! (Borrowed from a buddy who was better prepared than I).
Living in FL, I don't know much about gloves but they were well insulated, reminded me of the heavy duty gloves I had growing up in Chicago.

I was surprised to find that I could work my indicator with them on, but I couldn't get balls out of the bag, so when I did the plate I had to keep my right hand bare....
:cry:

It was an adventure - not one I'd want to re-peat, but one to talk about for years
HugoTafurst

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:15 am

HugoTafurst wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:Forgot your gloves?

Used gloves! (Borrowed from a buddy who was better prepared than I).
Living in FL, I don't know much about gloves but they were well insulated, reminded me of the heavy duty gloves I had growing up in Chicago.

I was surprised to find that I could work my indicator with them on, but I couldn't get balls out of the bag, so when I did the plate I had to keep my right hand bare....
:cry:

It was an adventure - not one I'd want to re-peat, but one to talk about for years

I have not used them for this purpose ... but you may want to check into glove liners ... it's like a glove that you wear under your glove for skiing ... their close fitting and warm ... In FL, you could probably get away with a pair of them ... In VA., HS Ball was very cold this past Spring ... Many of the Blues were not prepared ... One of our guys wore an un-matching stocking cap and his picture ended up on the front page of the sports section ... Our UIC was not happy.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:02 am

Spazsdad wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:One of our guys wore an un-matching stocking cap and his picture ended up on the front page of the sports section ... Our UIC was not happy.

Oh the horror :o :o :P

I personally saw no problem with it as an emergency ... Umpire cold weather gear is available, but I don't know anyone who has any ... The entire issue was about uniformity ... I don't believe there were any complaints ...
GIMNEPIWO

by Patrick » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:56 am

I disagree, It is called UNIFORM for a reason. And there are guidelines for cold weather gear. Pry open that wallet and buy them! I do!
Also, I wanted to go to Rising Stars last week, and they didn't need me. Thank God!
Patrick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:48 pm

Patrick wrote:I disagree, It is called UNIFORM for a reason. And there are guidelines for cold weather gear. Pry open that wallet and buy them! I do!
Also, I wanted to go to Rising Stars last week, and they didn't need me. Thank God!

Well ,,, I think I had posted this here or the other site last spring when it happened ... and I (newby) understand that point ... Here in VA, we should really be better prepared for calling games @ 34 degrees, snow flurries & wind blowing ... but the truth is we ( many or most )
aren't ... if I was going to call HS games again this Spring I think I would buy the headgear ... but I'll be back on the other side ...
GIMNEPIWO

by Patrick » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:26 pm

Well if your a newby, I can see taking some time and gathering it up as you gp. But if your picture appears in a paper, YOUR NOT A NEWBY!
Patrick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:51 am

Patrick wrote:Well if your a newby, I can see taking some time and gathering it up as you gp. But if your picture appears in a paper, YOUR NOT A NEWBY!

You're right ... in this case the Blue wasn't a newby ... but his pix was in the paper because some newspaper photographer needed a shot of a HS game, and he just happened to be in the background ... he was not the subject but part of the scenery :lol: ...
GIMNEPIWO

by HugoTafurst » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:17 am

For the record - We're back to normal today 70's through Monday
HugoTafurst

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner