Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

New bat rule

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Krush Softball » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:53 pm

Does anyone know the new ASA bat rule for 2010. Apparently you can no longer have the Easton rubber knob end (that just covers the knob )on your bat in the new rule. DD was in two friendly's this weekend and only one ump in seven games mentioned this and made all the players remove them from their bats. If anyone could shed some light on this Im sure our entire team wouls appriciate it.
Thanks
Krush Softball
Premium Member
Premium Member

by WCV 12 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:08 pm

According to ASA travel Ball meeting the old rule was altering the bat including rubber knobs and the cone handle were determined to be unsafe. After extensive research neither of these grip items cause any issue and are allowed.
WCV 12

by Krush Softball » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:33 pm

WCV12,
Then is it safe to have my DD put her Easton rubber knob end back on her bat and not worry about it anymore, and pass this along to the team?
Thanks
Krush Softball
Premium Member
Premium Member

by WCV 12 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:44 pm

Yes per ASA it is not an alteration to the bat an perfectly legal.
WCV 12

by Krush Softball » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:56 pm

Thank you for this info.
Krush Softball
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SnocatzDad » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am

The way I read the wording of the new rule, the cones are legal if they are permanently attached (i.e. taped on) No mention of the rubber knob caps in the new ruling that I saw. They have been illegal for a long time, but so is bat the roster, time limits, etc so they might be allowed by your local league modifications of the rules, you should ask, but don't expect to show up to an ASA National with a removable rubber cap on the bat and not be told to remove it.
SnocatzDad

by Jalamander » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:51 am

Rule3, Section 1. OFFICIAL BAT.
B. SAFETY KNOB: the knob shall have a diameter of at least 1.6 inches with no sharp edges. The knob will be permanently attached to the bat and may be taped with safety tape.

D. SAFETY GRIP: Covers the handle region of the bat. The Safety Grip shall not be less than 10 inches and not more than 15 inches. There shall be no exposed metal in the 10 - 15 inch area. The Safety Grip may be a molded finger formed grip as long as it is permanently attached to the bat, or attached with safety tape. Resin, pine tar or spray substances are permissible on the Safety Grip only. Any tape applied to the Safety Grip must be a continuous spiral. A bat having a flare or cone shaped grip attached is legal.
Jalamander

by MTR » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:21 pm

WCV 12 wrote:Yes per ASA it is not an alteration to the bat an perfectly legal.

I assume folks are referring to an Easton Power Pad or Worth Knob-it or a Knob-cuff type of attachment. The new definition does not make the legal. However, cover them with legal tape and you are good to go.
MTR

by MTR » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:12 pm

Spazsdad wrote:I could have sworn at our manager's meeting the UIC for SoCal ASA made it a point to tell all of us that that item is now legal.
Go figure...

Really? Without being taped as noted in the new rule?

Hmmm.....interesting.
MTR

by MTR » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:26 am

Spazsdad wrote:
MTR wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:I could have sworn at our manager's meeting the UIC for SoCal ASA made it a point to tell all of us that that item is now legal.
Go figure...

Really? Without being taped as noted in the new rule?

Hmmm.....interesting.

I don't recall any mention of taping being a criteria

"The Safety Grip may be a molded finger formed grip as long as it is permanently attached to the bat, or attached with safety tape....Any tape applied to the Safety Grip must be a continuous spiral. A bat having a flare or cone shaped grip attached is legal"

This is the part of the rule which is being used to "legalize" the GripNRip and other attachments to the bat though none are specifically addressed. To the best of my knowledge (and I was in the room at the time), it seemed clear that anything attached to the bat by anyone other than the manufacturer was to be secured by tape. However, I'll check with a member of the NUS to see how they have interpreted this.
MTR

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner