Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Which rules??

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by lvtwft » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:38 pm

Do coaches argue the most that get it wrong? (for umps)

Do you think coaches, that umps get wrong in their interpitation?? (for coaches)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"
Albert Einstein
lvtwft

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:50 pm

Interference & obstruction , hands down ....
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by PDad » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:54 pm

Strikezone - for both umps and coaches! :lol:
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:15 pm

PDad wrote:Strikezone - for both umps and coaches! :lol:

OP said 'argue' ... you can't argue the strike zone ... it is what it is ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by PDad » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:25 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:

First, the OP only said 'argue' for coaches.
Second, you can argue the strike zone - what you can't argue are balls and strikes.

Reality is the strike zone is whatever the umpire is calling, regardless of what the rules say.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:59 pm

PDad wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:

First, the OP only said 'argue' for coaches.
Second, you can argue the strike zone - what you can't argue are balls and strikes.

Reality is the strike zone is whatever the umpire is calling, regardless of what the rules say.

Very True ...

You say .. Blue, where is the strike zone ?
Blue: The space over home plate between the batters forward armpit and the top of her knees
You say .. I don't think that ball was in that area
Blue : Get me a bag of peanuts on your way to the parking lot

EDIT: I stand by my choice , both as a Coach and an Umpire, I see as many Coaches that don't understand the rules as I do Umpires mis-interpreting them and the awards ... But yours is a close second !
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:41 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Interference & obstruction , hands down ....

Yep, have to agree. Other points often not grasped by the less-experienced coaches that go along with the two above is the difference between basepath and baseline and the effects of the 3' lane on a play.
MTR

by K'SDAD » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:11 pm

Infield fly
K'SDAD

by Bretman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:52 am

I worked well over 100 games last year and can only recall one instance where a coach argued for a runner interference call. Can't remember anyone arguing for an obstruction call.

On the other hand, the few times I had to make either of these calls (if I had to put a number on it, I'd guess about five times for each one) the coach of the "violating" team put up some mild argument, grumbled about it or wanted some explanation just about 100% of the time.

I did hear the comment that "she has to slide" a few times, when there is no rule requiring a runner to ever slide. A few more complained about a batter being out of the batter's box when she wasn't. And there is always a coach or two that is convinced a pitcher is doing something illegal, when she is not.

Maybe it's because the majority of the games I worked had more experienced coaches and players, but no one particular rule really sticks out as having been argued appreciably more than any other. Comments about the strike zone are fairly common and can be expected. I only had one coach push the line far enough to get close to an ejection, but when I told him to knock it off he did.

No one particular rule stuck out enough last year to call it a trend, but I did have a few unusual arguments on some pretty basic rules.

One coach argued that when his batter bunted the ball, dropped the bat and the bat smacked right into the ball out in front of the batter's box that this was not interference because the bat was out of the batter's hands.

Another had a mild hissy fit when I denied his appeal that a runner had missed third base, when I was standing a few feet away looking right at the runner's foot when she rounded the bag.

I had an experienced high school coach vehemently try to tell me that "the hands are part of the bat" after his batter was hit on the hand while swinging at a pitch for strike three.

Perhaps my favorite- another experienced coach tried to tell me there was a Look Back violation because a runner left base and advanced when the ball was in the circle. Yep, it was in the circle alright, but it was being held by his third baseman!
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by Imperial SB Dad » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:54 am

Bretman wrote:
I had an experienced high school coach vehemently try to tell me that "the hands are part of the bat" after his batter was hit on the hand while swinging at a pitch for strike three.

This isn't considered a foul ball????
Imperial SB Dad

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner