Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

batter time out rule

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by c'monblue » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:03 pm

just curious there was a call made today in a boys 11 under ball game . The bases are loaded the batter holds his hand up for time out does not get time out. The pitcher starts to pitch and stops field umpire calls balk. home plate umpire stops that call and says the batter was calling time out witch caused the pitcher to balk.our coach asked if he was granted the time out blue said no. So if the pitch was made it would have been a pitch. blue said he would of called a no pitch i dont understand that ruleing. we ended up tying. please forgive my spelling ?thanks
c'monblue

by nohesitation » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:03 pm

c'monblue wrote:just curious there was a call made today in a boys 11 under ball game . The bases are loaded the batter holds his hand up for time out does not get time out. The pitcher starts to pitch and stops field umpire calls balk. home plate umpire stops that call and says the batter was calling time out witch caused the pitcher to balk.our coach asked if he was granted the time out blue said no. So if the pitch was made it would have been a pitch. blue said he would of called a no pitch i dont understand that ruleing. we ended up tying. please forgive my spelling ?thanks

This is a softball site. My little league days are long gone. The last baseball rule book I have is 2000. Is your son in triple A or Majors? I miss those days. By the way the play makes no sense.
“I have been loving you too long to stop now.” Otis Redding
nohesitation

by YellowBalls » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:31 pm

If this was fastpitch, illegal pitch should have been called and runner on third base awarded home if time out was not awarded to the batter.
YellowBalls

by c'monblue » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:48 am

my dd plays softball my son plays baseball. I know this is a softball sight . i do see alot of the same umpires at both events thank you for your time.
c'monblue

by Comp » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:19 am

In fast pitch, if the batters actions caused the pitcher to stop delivery of the pitch, even though time had not been granted it is a no pitch.
Comp

by Bretman » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:08 am

Generally, baseball handles this the same way. If the batter's request of time results in the pitcher stopping his motion, the ball is dead, it is "no pitch" and the umpire allows each to reset without penalty.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by MTR » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:30 am

Comp wrote:In fast pitch, if the batters actions caused the pitcher to stop delivery of the pitch, even though time had not been granted it is a no pitch.

Can be, at times should be, but in ASA, that is not what the rule states.

6(FP)-10
No pitch shall be declared when:

E. No player, manager or coach call time, employ any other word or phrase, or commit any act while the ball is live for the obvious purpose of trying to make the pitch commit an illegal pitch.

Please note the emphasized portion of the rule. The umpire should believe the request for time was meant to cause an IP. More often than not, I would say that isn't the case. Many times the pitcher may not even see the indication for the request if the batter is simply holding up a hand or simple asked for it and begin to move out of the box under the assumption the request will be granted.

How many times have we read on this and other boards that the unless the catcher is in no position to receive the pitch, the pitcher should always deliver the ball once she starts? There is a bit of coaching on both sides here, but if a pitcher just stops, who's fault is that?

This is a tough call, but I have no problem either way the umpire goes.
MTR

by nohesitation » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:21 am

c'monblue wrote:just curious there was a call made today in a boys 11 under ball game . The bases are loaded the batter holds his hand up for time out does not get time out. The pitcher starts to pitch and stops field umpire calls balk. home plate umpire stops that call and says the batter was calling time out witch caused the pitcher to balk.our coach asked if he was granted the time out blue said no. So if the pitch was made it would have been a pitch. blue said he would of called a no pitch i dont understand that ruleing. we ended up tying. please forgive my spelling ?thanks

The bases are loaded the batter holds his hand up for time out does not get time out.”

The pitcher starts to pitch and stops

field umpire calls balk

home plate umpire stops that call

and says the batter was calling time out which caused the pitcher to balk

blue said time was not grated

So if the pitch was made it would have been a pitch

blue said he would of called a no pitch.”

I am good with Rule 6-10-E applying to the balk or IP.

So the problem I have with this situation and (why it didn’t make sense) is the blue saying:

“he would have called a no pitch” if the pitch was made.

How can it be a “no pitch” with the pitch delivered? (Then rule 6-10-E would not apply.)

What grounds would the umpire have for “no pitch” if the pitch was delivered? (with no time called)
nohesitation

by Bretman » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:56 pm

That is a messed up explanation you got there.

When the pitcher doesn't react to the batter's request of time, then procedes to legally deliver a pitch, guess what? It's a pitch! You call it a ball or strike just like any other pitch.

I said that baseball "generally" calls this the same way. That is true for Official Baseball Rules (professional baseball) and any other game where the rules are based on OBR. But, just like with softball, there are many different sanctioning bodies and not all rule this exactly the same. High school baseball has a slightly different take.

In high school, if this happens and the pitch is delivered, the pitch is automatically ruled a strike- no matter where it goes. As if that isn't strange enough, if the batter subsequently steps out of the batter's box with both feet, you call the automatic strike AND charge a penalty strike for the batter leaving the box. Thus it is possible for TWO STRIKES to be rung up on one pitch!
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by nohesitation » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:32 pm

Bretman wrote:That is a messed up explanation you got there.

When the pitcher doesn't react to the batter's request of time, then procedes to legally deliver a pitch, guess what? It's a pitch! You call it a ball or strike just like any other pitch.

I said that baseball "generally" calls this the same way. That is true for Official Baseball Rules (professional baseball) and any other game where the rules are based on OBR. But, just like with softball, there are many different sanctioning bodies and not all rule this exactly the same. High school baseball has a slightly different take.

In high school, if this happens and the pitch is delivered, the pitch is automatically ruled a strike- no matter where it goes. As if that isn't strange enough, if the batter subsequently steps out of the batter's box with both feet, you call the automatic strike AND charge a penalty strike for the batter leaving the box. Thus it is possible for TWO STRIKES to be rung up on one pitch!

Is your post responding to my post or MTR’s?
Because I’m not necessarily explaining some rule, but rather breaking down the original post and asking the question: How could the call of “no pitch” been made if the pitch had been thrown? That’s all. I’m not disagreeing with yours or MTR’s position.
nohesitation

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner