Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Rosin Bags & Ignorant Umpires

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by indakitchen » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:36 pm

Why are umpires requiring pitchers to wipe their hands after using a Rosin Bag?

2020 NFHS Softball Rules Book
Rule 6 Pitching
Section 2
Article 2
page 176

"The pitcher shall not at any time during the game be allowed to use tape or other substance on the ball or contact points of the pitching hand or fingers; nor shall any other player apply a foreign substance to the ball. A pitcher who licks her fingers shall wiper them off before bringing them in contact with the ball. Under the supervision and control of the umpire, powdered rosin or any comparable drying agent may be used to dry the hand. It is not necessary to wipe off the drying agent before making contact with the ball. The pitcher shall not wear any item on the pitching hand, wrist, arm or thighs which the umpire judges to be distracting to the batter."

We've had umpires multiple times make the pitcher wipe after using a rosin bag? I was fairly sure I was correct the first time it happened. However, to be 100% sure I looked up the rule. Even when I explain that I've looked up the rule, most umpires are just too damn arrogant to change or adapt. We are using the NFHS rule book. I do understand the College rules are different and required a wipe when using rosin or any substance. But we are playing 12u, and having umpires lie and cheat about rules they don't know is not fair at any age level.

I also, understand most fastpitch umpires couldn't hold down a real job (even the greeter at Wal-Mart) and this is a quick way to make a buck. But, our sport is growing every day and the standards we hold players and coaches to are way too high to have umpires that don't even understand simple rules.

Umpires are a huge part of our sport. With that being said, MOST umpires are horrible and should not be allowed to make money at something they suck at. I've been around fastpitch softball since the early 90's and honestly maybe 10% of the umpires I've seen actually do a good job. It's time we start holding umpires accountable and start making strides to get better. Very simple fix would be any time an Umpire throws a coach out of a game, they too have to sit out the next game scheduled without pay. Maybe then they would at least give some effort to get the call correct.
indakitchen

by indakitchen » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:05 pm

Spazsdad wrote:You seem like you need a hug?

As to your first question it could just be a confusion over different rule sets. So many organizers and hosts and they all pick and choose what rules they will play under, many times with further modifications

The finishing rant I will just ignore

I'm always ready for a hug! ;)

Being confused over different rule sets would be a perfectly good excuse for a volunteer umpire. But when being paid, they should at least know the rules or the intent of the rule. At least they could try to be objective and not combative?

However, thank you for strengthening my point (or rant) about poor umpires. Like....... maybe...... if we just "ignore" bad umpires somehow magically they will get better? :lol: :lol: :lol:
indakitchen

by gallgu » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:55 pm

Sometimes I wonder why we have an umpire shortage, than I read stuff like this.

Umpires are human, they do not get paid that much. For many umpires, its enough to cover costs and maybe some beer money. Its not a career, they do it because they love the game and want to give back. They do not intentionally get calls wrong, they do not care who wins the game, they do try to get better every game. If the umpire is listening to you its because they have to listen to parents screaming all game and the umpires that last learn to tune parents out.

I suggest you try umpiring or hire 4 college level umpires for your next game.
gallgu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to The Umpire Corner