Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Player sub

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by TX Collision Coach » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:20 pm

Crazy question. I have never had this come up. If you sub a player in for a starter, can you then sub for the sub with no other action. I thought each starter could be sub'ed for and then return to the game, causing the sub to be done for the game. Had this come up while scoring a game. Thanks in advance.
Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell you soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him.
TX Collision Coach

by HugoTafurst » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:45 pm

TX Collision Coach wrote:Crazy question. I have never had this come up. If you sub a player in for a starter, can you then sub for the sub with no other action. I thought each starter could be sub'ed for and then return to the game, causing the sub to be done for the game. Had this come up while scoring a game. Thanks in advance.

All the rules I'm familiar with allow you to sub for a sub - as many times as you have available subs...

The restrictions are not for leaving the game, but for re-entering the game.

Some rules allow a starter rentry, but not a sub..... Others allow both a starter aand a sub re-entry (1).
HugoTafurst

by nohesitation » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:05 pm

TX Collision Coach wrote:Crazy question. I have never had this come up. If you sub a player in for a starter, can you then sub for the sub with no other action. I thought each starter could be sub'ed for and then return to the game, causing the sub to be done for the game. Had this come up while scoring a game. Thanks in advance.

“ASA Rule 4 sec 5 Re-entry.
A. Any player may be substituted for or replaced and re-entered once, provided the players occupy their same batting position in the batting order.”

I think most people read this wrong. It says “re-entered once”, which means you have entered twice. A starter has entered the game once when he starts, the sub has not entered the game until he is subbed for a starter.

I’m omitting the technical stuff of reporting to the umpire, etcetera.

Starter #1 is replaced by a sub #12.
Starter #1 re-enters and Sub # 12 out.
Starter #1 is replaced by Sub #12. (Starter #1 is done.)

Sub #13 comes in for Sub #12. (Sub #12 is done.)

And so on.
“I have been loving you too long to stop now.” Otis Redding
nohesitation

by PDad » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:42 am

nohesitation wrote:

“ASA Rule 4 sec 5 Re-entry.
A. Any player may be substituted for or replaced and re-entered once, provided the players occupy their same batting position in the batting order.”

Starter #1 is replaced by a sub #12.
Starter #1 re-enters and Sub # 12 out.
Starter #1 is replaced by Sub #12. (Starter #1 is done.)
Sub #13 comes in for Sub #12. (Sub #12 is done.)

Or, more to the OP's question, you can sub for a sub without affecting the starter.

Starter #1 is replaced by Sub #12.
Sub #13 enters for Sub #12.
Starter #1 re-enters for Sub # 13.
Sub #13 re-enters for Starter #1.

At this point - Starter #1 is done, Sub #12 is still eligible to re-enter and Sub #13 will be done if she exits again.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to The Umpire Corner