Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Where's the Consistency??????

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Texas Two Step » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:17 pm

I understand that there are many rules to the game and rules vary based on the sanctioning of the tournament. But seems to me that it would do everyone some good if umpires would go back to school and find a way to get more consistent with how to interpret the rules.

It's concerning when you think about the obstruction rule, interference rule, look back rule, what constitutes offering a bunt, and it varies from one crew/game to the next.

Seems to me that there are way to many rules left up to the judgment of the umpires.

Consistency guys...that's all I ask for.
Texas Two Step

by HugoTafurst » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:20 am

Texas Two Step wrote:I understand that there are many rules to the game and rules vary based on the sanctioning of the tournament. But seems to me that it would do everyone some good if umpires would go back to school and find a way to get more consistent with how to interpret the rules.

It's concerning when you think about the obstruction rule, interference rule, look back rule, what constitutes offering a bunt, and it varies from one crew/game to the next.

Seems to me that there are way to many rules left up to the judgment of the umpires.

You should take your comments and requests to the sanctioning bodies you wish to play for and demand that they only use umpires that are properly trained and tested by that organization.

You may find that you will have less games and much higher tournament fees, but you will may find a little more consistency.
HugoTafurst

by Jalamander » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:27 am

Texas Two Step wrote:But seems to me that it would do everyone some good if umpires would go back to school and find a way to get more consistent with how to interpret the rules.

Sorry, guy. You're dealing with people. Different weight, height, age, speed, agility, sight.....everything affects the judgment of an umpire, just as it affects your own team. Just as you strive for consistency within your team, we strive for consistency within our team. Our teammates vary from rookies on up to umpires with 25+ years of experience. The rookie may be struggling with a bunt verses a slap hit verses did she really offer. Your player may be struggling to hit the bunt where you intended her to hit it. I struggle with speed. I want to get to that perfect location to make the correct call, but these old legs don't seem to propel me as fast as they used to. Your best hitter for the last 3 years seems to be swinging and missing a lot. Why can't she be consistent? Maybe it's that new boyfriend she has. Consistency…we all work toward it, but, dad burn it, can’t seem to attain and keep it consistently.
Jalamander

by BlitzkriegBob » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:57 am

Texas Two Step wrote:I understand that there are many rules to the game and rules vary based on the sanctioning of the tournament. But seems to me that it would do everyone some good if umpires would go back to school and find a way to get more consistent with how to interpret the rules.

Umpires do go back to school, each and every year. So far this year, I have attended two clinics, one school, one online rules interpretation meeting, and six association meetings where we discuss rules and mechanics. I am scheduled for one more school and at least one more association meeting.

I know sometimes coaches, players, and spectators can look at two very similar plays where both calls may go against them as the offensive team and the defensive team. Even if it's the same game and the same umpire, just the slightest variation can cause the difference in a ruling. For example, on defense you have a fielder who is called for obstructing a runner because she is blocking a base or a base path without possession of the ball and she impedes or hinders the runner. Then you're on offense and there is no call when an opposing fielder is blocking a base or a base path without possession of the ball, but she does not impede or hinder the runner. Similarly, interference, look back violations, or bunt attempts may or may not be judged to have occurred on plays that look identical, depending on the circumstances. Umpires often use the term "Had to be there" because while we may be able to tell someone the rule book definition for these events, it is more often than not impossible to tell someone whether or not it actually occurred if we did not witness the play in question.

Yes, there are good umpires and bad umpires. Even if it is a bad umpire, you can take solace in remembering that (s)he is going to be a bad umpire for both teams. Having coached baseball for thirteen years prior to becoming an umpire, I can honestly say that as a coach I never felt an umpire was cheating our team, even when I disagreed with their calls. As an umpire, I can honestly say that I like some teams better than others, but when it comes to making calls I'm not looking at the uniform they're wearing when I'm judging balls and strikes or safes and outs.
BlitzkriegBob

by Bretman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:57 am

Texas Two Step wrote:It's concerning when you think about the obstruction rule, interference rule, look back rule, what constitutes offering a bunt, and it varies from one crew/game to the next.

I would be interested to know how you would propose rewriting the obstruction, interference, Look Back and bunt rules to eliminate umpire judgment.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by Texas Two Step » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:22 pm

Just get on the same page when interpreting the rules. Again, every crew at a tournament should be interpreting the rules the same way. This can not change from game to game or field to field.

With umpire fees going up, teams expect the quality of umpiring to go up as well. Again, consistency would go a long way.
Texas Two Step

by Jalamander » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:21 pm

Texas Two Step wrote:every crew at a tournament should be interpreting the rules the same way. This can not change from game to game or field to field.

Nope. See my previous note.
Jalamander

by MTR » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:36 pm

Texas Two Step wrote:Just get on the same page when interpreting the rules. Again, every crew at a tournament should be interpreting the rules the same way. This can not change from game to game or field to field.

With umpire fees going up, teams expect the quality of umpiring to go up as well. Again, consistency would go a long way.

Let me know where you are located and I will find out who the contact is in your area who will register and provide you with the proper training.

See you on the field.
MTR

by softballaddict » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:52 pm

MTR great idea. I've only been wearing the blue for a little over 5 years, but most people have no clue what it takes to umpire effectively. I work very hard at it. Try to be in position to make the call, see the play, make the call. And yes, we occasionally blow a call. It happens. But we try to learn from it and not make the same mistake again. Unfortunately there are some blues out there who are only there for the money, and just go through the motions (and not even good motions at that) that give all of us a bad rap. I started umping because I thought our local umps were giving my slow pitch team short shrift. Once I started, I discovered it was a lot harder than I thought, and most of them really were trying to do a good job and get the calls right. Very enlightening. If you think it's so easy, try it. It is however very encouraging when you hear the chirping from behind the plate about the strike zone and then later hear them say "At least he's being consistent".
softballaddict

by Bretman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:14 pm

Texas Two Step wrote:Just get on the same page when interpreting the rules. Again, every crew at a tournament should be interpreting the rules the same way. This can not change from game to game or field to field.

Interpreting rules is something altogether different than umpire judgment. Now you've opened an entirely new kettle of fish!

If a rule is not being interpreted correctly, why are you not filing a formal protest? Of course, that requires the coach to know the correct rule and the correct procedure for filing a protest. But it is the the course of action spelled out in the rule book and one the offended team should avail itself of if an umpire is misinterpreting a rule.

Texas Two Step wrote:With umpire fees going up, teams expect the quality of umpiring to go up as well. Again, consistency would go a long way.

If that is the expectation of teams, it may be a misguided expectation. Generally, umpire fees have a poor correlation with umpire quality.

The price of gasoline has gone up, but you're still getting the same gasoline you bought last week. The price of food has gone up, but you're still getting the same food you bought last month. And, if the cost of umpires goes up, you will still be getting the same umpires you had last season!
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

Return to The Umpire Corner