Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Lead off

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by daylightkate » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:47 am

Question:

If there are 2 runners on base that both lead off and the umpire calls it...who is out?
Possible scenarios are:
1) Are they both out for leading off?
2) Is just one out because once a lead off is called, play is dead and all other runners must return to their base.
3) If they leave at the same time is it the runner closest to home.
daylightkate

by Bretman » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:58 am

daylightkate wrote:Question:

If there are 2 runners on base that both lead off and the umpire calls it...who is out?
Possible scenarios are:
1) Are they both out for leading off?
2) Is just one out because once a lead off is called, play is dead and all other runners must return to their base.
3) If they leave at the same time is it the runner closest to home.

#2 pretty well sums it up. It is up to the umpire to determine which runner left her base first. That is the runner that will be called out. At that instant, the ball becomes dead and what the other runner did is moot.

#1: You can only get one out on this violation, without exception.

#3: Not automatically or by rule. I could envision a scenario where one umpire sees one runner leave early and the other sees a different runner leave early. If they both call the violation almost simultaneously, they probably will have to huddle up and and try to figure out which one left first. But we can't have "a tie" on this one. You have to determine as best you can which runner left first and that one is out.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by daylightkate » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:05 am

Thanks Bretman. Please clarify.

#2 - At that instant, the ball becomes dead and what the other runner did is moot

Are you saying that the second runner must go back to her original base?
daylightkate

by Iluvblue » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:17 am

The second the umpire calls "Dead Ball", all action stops. He called dead ball to call one of your runners out, so yes, all other runners return to where they were prior to the dead ball being called.

Did this actually happen in a game?? i would love to have seen two umpires discussing this. How could they know which was first. Just like described above, they huddle and just take their best guess at who was first.

I could just see some lame coach arguing with the umpire... No way blue, the girl at first left way before the runner at 3rd. What the heck are you looking at:)
Iluvblue

by daylightkate » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:25 am

Iluvblue wrote:Did this actually happen in a game??

Yes, blue called both runners out. Blue would not allow call to be discussed with coaches, end of story, two outs.
daylightkate

by Jalamander » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:05 am

daylightkate wrote:Yes, blue called both runners out. Blue would not allow call to be discussed with coaches, end of story, two outs.

The umpire’s call can be protested. You have to decide whether the protest is worth it.

At best, you protest and win…and the umpire gets to decide which runner to call out and which runner is put back on base. What you wanna bet the lead runner is called out? But, you get to continue play with a runner on.

If it’s a tight game, winning a protest, might be the difference between a win and a loss. If it’s a blow-out by one team or another, a protest is a teaching moment to an umpire. If no protest, the umpire gets to do the same thing to someone else.

Your call as to how to handle the situation.
Jalamander

by BeyondTheScoreBoard » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:13 pm

I know I can't predict the future, but I am pretty sure if both runners leave almost simultaneously in a game when I an the BU, the lead runner will have left early!
BeyondTheScoreBoard

by Patrick » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:30 pm

Considering my primary focus is on the lead runner. . .
Patrick
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to The Umpire Corner