Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Batter in the box..

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by lvtwft » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:38 am

Had an ump that stressed one foot in the batter box while taking your signs..Fine.

Our batter took a pitch, it was a ball. She stepped back with one foot to take a sign from the coach at 3rd. The catcher than hit her in the head with the ball while she was throwing down to 3rd. Batter had one foot in and one foot out of the box like the ump stressed.

He called her out for interfering with the throw...Right call?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"
Albert Einstein
lvtwft

by Comp » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:00 am

Yes was right call. Batter should know there is a play going on and freeze. They are legal if they stay still in the box, as long as it is not a play at home plate, but if they are moving around or stepping out of the box and interfere with a throw they have interfered and will be called out.
Comp

by lvtwft » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:22 am

There was a runner on 3rd but did not have a huge lead. Does the ump weigh the chance that the catcher hit her in the head to get an out??
Just curious to see what they are taught before they make that call.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"
Albert Einstein
lvtwft

by Comp » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:39 am

It is purely a judgement call by the umpire. If the ump thinks the batter was plunked in the head on purpose, no he doesnt have to call the interference. But, if they thought the batter moving around in the box interfered with a possible play, then they should call it.
Comp

by lvtwft » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:59 am

Thanks for the info
Albert Einstein
lvtwft

Return to The Umpire Corner