Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

control of the ball in the circle

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by NoNothin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:30 pm

As I understand control of the ball in the circle the ball has to be in the glove or in the other hand.....has anyone ever called a game where the pitcher puts the ball under her arm or chin or between her legs to fix her hair/visor or tuck in a shirt and a runner took off for the next base assuming the ball was not in control???

NoNo
Respect All Fear None!!!!
NoNothin

by wadeintothem » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:39 pm

Yes, just last year. And the defensive coach had a heart attack. They made absolutely no play on the runner. She ran from 1B to 2B. I think she could have ran all the way home.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by NoNothin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:48 pm

Thanks Wade,

The reason I ask is that my dd is very aware on the bases and wanted to attempt this, but we haven't given her the green light to take advantage of this. What should she watch for to avoid being rung up for leaving early??

NoNo
NoNothin

by wadeintothem » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:53 pm

NoNothin wrote:Thanks Wade,

The reason I ask is that my dd is very aware on the bases and wanted to attempt this, but we haven't given her the green light to take advantage of this. What should she watch for to avoid being rung up for leaving early??

NoNo

An umpire who doesnt know the rules.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by NoNothin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:56 pm

Thats what I'm affraid of....

Thanks again:-)

NoNo
NoNothin

by Bretman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:43 am

NoNothin wrote:As I understand control of the ball in the circle the ball has to be in the glove or in the other hand.....has anyone ever called a game where the pitcher puts the ball under her arm or chin or between her legs to fix her hair/visor or tuck in a shirt and a runner took off for the next base assuming the ball was not in control???

NoNo

Your understanding is correct for ASA ball. The Look Back Rule (8-7-T) requires the pitcher to have both "possession and control" of the ball. The ASA interpretation of "control" is that the ball must be securely held in the glove or hand.

But be careful! Not all organizations follow that same standard!

For instance, if your game is played NFHS rules, they have a slightly different rule and interpretation. Their Look Back Rule requires a pitcher only to have "possession" of the ball. In one of their games, the pitcher could place the ball in her glove, then place the glove between her knees to fix her hair, hold the ball in the crook of her elbow or hold the ball under her chin, and that would satisfy their definition of "possession". Even then, the LBR would still be in effect.

As for the dozen other alphabet soup of organizations, each may have their own take on this. I will not profess to know for sure how this is ruled in NCAA, NSA, USSSA, AFA, etcetera, etcetera. You would really have to dig into their respective books to see how they handle it.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by NoNothin » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:11 am

Thanks Bret
NoNothin

Return to The Umpire Corner