Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Some Help on a Call Please

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by coachkev » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:48 pm

Don't have my book with me but I will be reading up on this one. If you can shed some light on this one I would appreciate it.

Runner on 1st Steals 2nd Call Made is Out. (Very Safe and everyone knows including the ump that made the call)

After being called out runner heads to the dug-out. Coach appeals base ump to seek help from plate ump. Coach states angle, tag, not on base, blah, blah blah

Umpires meet and discuss tag, angle blah,blah,blah and signal out. Coach heads over for an explanation and gets" Your runner was very safe and the wrong call was made, but she crossed into the dug-out so she is out.

My question is this:
As I understand if you are considered safe and cross into the dug-out you are then OUT!
If you are called out and then the call is over turned can you be put back on base?
coachkev
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Bretman » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:00 pm

If a runner leaves her base due to being called out, and the umpire reverses his call, she should be placed back on the bag. Any time a reversal of a call places a player in jeopardy, the umpires should seek to remedy the situation.

Now, as for your play- What do you mean by "Very Safe and everyone knows including the ump that made the call"?

If he knew she was safe, why did he call her out? Just a flat-out mistake on his part? If so, that is even more reason to fix the mistake and return the runner.

It's pretty rare for a base umpire to ask for help from the plate umpire on a steal of second. The base umpire should be just a few feet away from the play. The plate umpire is nearly 90 feet away. It would have to be a pretty odd set of circumstances where the plate umpire had a better view of the play than did the base umpire!

If the umpire changes his call, fix it. You don't leave the player out to dry because you blew the call!
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by wadeintothem » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:00 pm

What does it really matter with those two goofballs working your game?

I mean, really. What could we possibly say? If this is true, that is pathetic.

Of course they could put the runner back!!
If an umpire, if FOR WHATEVER reason, allowed a coach to get them to "go to PU for help" on a 2B steal.. and then overturned it, they could simply put the runner back on base.

Thats a no brainer.

I'll take your word for it this is true, but its almost unbelievable at any real level of ball.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by coachkev » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:04 am

For some reason the base ump was standing on the edge of the grass behind the base. He could not have seen the slide, the tag, or the fact that she beat the throw there. Which is why I asked for help. The fact that he even agreed to get help let me know he wasn't sure of his call. I understand mistakes happen and this one did not directly effect the game as we still won, but blowing one call and then blowing a rule interpretation to support the bad call was quite the situation. Thanks for the help ;)
coachkev
Premium Member
Premium Member

by umpinva » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:15 pm

coachkev wrote:For some reason the base ump was standing on the edge of the grass behind the base. He could not have seen the slide, the tag, or the fact that she beat the throw there. Which is why I asked for help. The fact that he even agreed to get help let me know he wasn't sure of his call. I understand mistakes happen and this one did not directly effect the game as we still won, but blowing one call and then blowing a rule interpretation to support the bad call was quite the situation. Thanks for the help ;)

A smarter umpire would have answered your first question wiith: In my judgment she is out. No coach, I am not getting help from my partner. Let's play ball now.
umpinva

by MTR » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:31 pm

umpinva wrote:
coachkev wrote:For some reason the base ump was standing on the edge of the grass behind the base. He could not have seen the slide, the tag, or the fact that she beat the throw there. Which is why I asked for help. The fact that he even agreed to get help let me know he wasn't sure of his call. I understand mistakes happen and this one did not directly effect the game as we still won, but blowing one call and then blowing a rule interpretation to support the bad call was quite the situation. Thanks for the help ;)

A smarter umpire would have answered your first question wiith: In my judgment she is out. No coach, I am not getting help from my partner. Let's play ball now.

I "GOOD" umpire who realizes that maybe there could have been something s/he may not have seen will never have a problem going to partner if it was all possible that the partner could have gotten a better view.
MTR

by Skarp » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:27 pm

MTR wrote:I "GOOD" umpire who realizes that maybe there could have been something s/he may not have seen will never have a problem going to partner if it was all possible that the partner could have gotten a better view.

Most important umpire attributes:
1) reasonably good eyesight
2) knowledge of rules
3) complete lack of ego
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by artomatic » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:32 pm

Skarp wrote:
MTR wrote:I "GOOD" umpire who realizes that maybe there could have been something s/he may not have seen will never have a problem going to partner if it was all possible that the partner could have gotten a better view.

2) knowledge of rules
3) complete lack of ego

and good hygene, for my catcher's sake.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Skarp » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:39 pm

artomatic wrote:
Skarp wrote:

2) knowledge of rules
3) complete lack of ego

and good hygene, for my catcher's sake.

Hah! I bet it can get pretty ripe back there after a few games on a hot afternoon. Does your catcher get into the prediction game (as in, "OMG, look at that slob...I bet he's going to reek to high heaven by game 2")?
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by wadeintothem » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:36 pm

Hell, you otta smell some of them catchers and batters on a hot 110F day in San Joaquin Valley... especially a batter taking a good swing wearing them under armor shirts... .lordie..
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

Return to The Umpire Corner