Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Catcher Obstruction call

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by vcblue » Tue May 11, 2010 7:48 pm

softball_rules5 wrote:Let me play devils advocate here a little bit - you talk about a runner deviating from the line. I had two umpires recently tell me that it doesn't matter if the runner leaves their line - if they hook slide and contact is made before the ball arrives (no matter how close the two are to being there together) he has OBS. I said so even if the front of the bag is open, your telling me to teach every base runner to slide and make contact and that is OBS to which he replied yes - when I asked where can a fielder set up (and this is where I have the real problem with OBS being called too much) they have no answer. Now I know every play is different, but when you straddle the bag and leave the front open to the runner, but yet will bail them out with OBS on a hook slide, that to me is wrong. Again, I see way too many umps bailing out bad base running with OBS.

MTR I was using feet to try and explain my reasoning, but the more important thing is let the play develop like the rule was still "about to receive".

softball_rules5. The baseline means nothing. Tell your Defense to set up anywhere, it does not matter. If your D sees the runner coming at them even though the plate is clear tell them to step up to receive the ball. If your D can't then OBS may occur. The unfortunate thing for you is this is a JUDGMENT call, and in many cases umpires give way to much latitude to the runner. I had a partner that called OBS on a catcher when the runner was still half way up the line. After the game I asked why. He stated that F2 was behind the plate, the ball was coming in around the top of the Batter box and F2's movement to catch the ball startled the runner. I told him that is not a reason to call OBS and that you shouldn't penalize the D because the runner doesn't know how to run the bases.
vcblue

by SA_Xtreme97 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:43 pm

There is really no clear way around the call. It is all up to the umpire. To my understanding the defensive player has the right to the ball and the base runners must avoid contact at all times. That rule obstruction or interference is whack and is so wide open to enterpetation, that you will never win that arguement.
SA_Xtreme97

by Comp » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:50 pm

SA_Xtreme97 wrote:There is really no clear way around the call. It is all up to the umpire. To my understanding the defensive player has the right to the ball and the base runners must avoid contact at all times. That rule obstruction or interference is whack and is so wide open to enterpetation, that you will never win that arguement.

It depends on if you are talking about a batted ball or a thrown ball. If it is a batted ball, then yes, the fielder has the right to move anywhere on the field to field the ball and the runner must give them room to do so. Thrown ball is another matter. Per the obstruction rule, if the defensive player does not have posession of the ball, they may not impede the runner.
Comp

by MTR » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:29 pm

SA_Xtreme97 wrote:There is really no clear way around the call. It is all up to the umpire. To my understanding the defensive player has the right to the ball and the base runners must avoid contact at all times. That rule obstruction or interference is whack and is so wide open to enterpetation, that you will never win that arguement.

Comp already covered the two possible scenarios, but it sound like you really do not understand softball rules and when it comes to runners, it isn't really that difficult. A runner always has the right of way with two exceptions. A fielder attempting to field an untouched batted ball (or in certain circumstances, a deflected batted ball) or in possession of the ball own the field including the basepaths.

Now, if the runner interferes with the fielder with the ball or an attempted play to put out that or another runner, the ball is dead and depending upon the specific circumstances, either the runner closest to home is out or the runner who interfered is out and all other runners must return to the last base at the time of the INT.

Is there judgment involved? Sure there is, just like in every other call on the field.
MTR

by Sparky Guy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:24 pm

Here ya go. Safe? Out? Obstruction? You make the call.
Attachments
MVC-822F.JPG
MVC-822F.JPG (73.61 KiB) Viewed 3910 times
Sparky Guy

by MTR » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:56 am

Sparky Guy wrote:Here ya go. Safe? Out? Obstruction? You make the call.

At this point it is nothing
MTR

by tcannizzo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:22 am

+1
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:21 am

MTR wrote:
Sparky Guy wrote:Here ya go. Safe? Out? Obstruction? You make the call.

At this point it is nothing

Looks like a play at the plate to me ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by UmpSteve » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:42 am

So, let's use this picture to explain the umpire thought process.

First, you have not told us which rule set applies, but some deduction (no face guards on offensive team helmets) tells me it has be NCAA or ASA 23U and up.

If NCAA, this is not, and will not be obstruction. The runner is clearly sliding straight in, taking the path she has chosen, so there has been no alteration or having been impeded prior to this point. In addition, the test of "about to receive" has clearly been met, as the ball is already closer to the defensive player than the runner. So, the catcher is legally blocking the plate under NCAA rules. The only way this can become obstruction is if the catcher doesn't catch the ball, still blocks off the runner, then tags her while keeping her from having an opportunity to reach the plate while not in control and not about to receive (anymore).

In ASA, still not obstruction at this point (runner not impeded at this point), and it appears the ball will arrive before the runner. As long as the catcher catches the ball and has possession prior to contact, this is still not obstruction. But, in ASA and NFHS (different from NCAA), if the catcher doesn't catch the ball, the instant there is contact that would be obstruction.

Taking the play to the next level, IF the runner is just now realizing her path to the plate is blocked and changes her path to avoid the block, then it would be obstruction (in ASA and NFHS) at the moment the runner changes the path to avoid the catcher not yet in possession of the ball.

In NCAA, the "about to receive" and the fact that the ball will arrive first would still make this not obstruction, even if the runner varies. If the runner varies and arrives before the ball, or goes straight in and arrives before the ball, then the dropped leg is obstruction, because "about to receive" isn't applicable.

Is that what you wanted to hear, Sparky?
Last edited by UmpSteve on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by anonlooker » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:20 am

I've never seen OBS called on a catcher.
Last time it should have been but wasn't, karma took over and the next 7 batters had clean hits. :)
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner