Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Catcher Obstruction call

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Berad » Mon May 10, 2010 7:41 am

Had 2 plays that seemed the same with different calls by blue.

Play 1 Right field throws ball home runner rounding 3 comming home. Great throw to catcher, player has to go around catcher to get to plate and try a slide by, gets tagged runner out?

Play 2 Left field throws ball to home runner comming home. Another great throw, catcher catches ball goes down and taggs runner, runner safe on obstruction call?

When I question umpire about difference between plays he tells me that in play 1 the catcher caught ball inside baseline. In play 2 catcher caught ball on baseline.

Both plays balls were in catchers hand before player got to the catcher.
I have been told if defense has ball in hand there can be no obstruction.

Any help on this call?
Berad

by ASAPAump » Mon May 10, 2010 8:20 am

Both are HTBT (had to be there) situations. If the runner had to deviate their path based on the catcher's position prior to the catcher having control of the ball, then we have obstruction. Essentially, the catcher can not position himself/herself up the line to catch the ball since that will cause the runner to have to go around him/her.

Again, if the umpire judged that the runner had to deviate from her path to the plate, and the catcher didn't have the ball yet, it is obstruction and the runner is safe.
ASAPAump

by SnocatzDad » Mon May 10, 2010 11:00 am

It's all about where they set up to receive the throw and where the runner is coming in from. Catcher can set up on the foul line sometimes and be okay, other times not. If runner rounds third and is coming home on an arc, foul line should be okay for catcher, if runner coming straight down the line from third, probably needs to be inside the foul line to be safe.
The only place the catcher can set up and be 100% safe from an obstruction call is inside the foul line and off the plate.

Nothing worse than a great throw and great tag being overturned on an obstruction call, not saying it shouldn't be called, but it's just tough to have that much defensive effort rest on a judgement call that can be applied haphazardly at times. It seemed like a point of emphasis a few years ago and I felt like I was seeing it called too much, but I haven't seen it called as much lately almost feel it isn't being called enough anymore.
SnocatzDad

by Berad » Mon May 10, 2010 3:58 pm

If the ball gets to catcher before the runner, does it matter where she was standing when she caught the ball?
Berad

by ajaywill » Mon May 10, 2010 4:56 pm

Berad wrote:If the ball gets to catcher before the runner, does it matter where she was standing when she caught the ball?

It could.

The obstruction call is based on two factors:

1. The defensive player does not have the ball
2. The position of the defensive player (without the ball) hinders the baserunner and/or causes the baserunner to alter her path.

The baserunner could be hindered before reaching the catcher (or any fielder) that does not have the ball. Most players, coaches, and fans are watching the throw come in from the outfield. The umpire is (or should be) also watching the baserunner for eveidence of possible obstruction.
ajaywill

by SnocatzDad » Tue May 11, 2010 6:49 am

Berad wrote:If the ball gets to catcher before the runner, does it matter where she was standing when she caught the ball?

Think about it for a minute. Runner coming down the baseline has to put on the brakes because catcher is completely blocking her access to the plate while waiting to receive the ball. If the ball arrives before the runner only because runner slowed down to avoid a collision that is hindering and therefore obstruction.
SnocatzDad

by vcblue » Tue May 11, 2010 9:02 am

Here is the bottom line... It is unfortunate that when ASA changed from "about to receive" to "ball in hand" that many umpires have judge this to mean that a fielder can not stand in the baseline. A fielder can stand anywhere a fielder wants to stand to receive the ball. It is not the umpires job to say she was standing in the baseline therefore I have interference. THERE IS MORE TO IT. Obstruction clearly states that the runner had to change her path or was impeded from the base.

Examples: F3 standing on the white bag to receive a ball that will never get there. BR overruns 1st. I have nothing. BR turns towards 2nd. I have obstruction.

Play at home. F2 standing at the top of home plate on 3rd base foul line. Runner does not slow down, does not change her path, comes in sliding, ball received a split second before runner makes contact with F2. F2 blocks runner and tags her. I have a great D play and an OUT. Ball comes in after contact. Runner is blocked tag is made. I have OBS and award home.

Same play but this time runner see F2 at home and about 10 to 15 feet (or more) away she takes a path to go around F2 a tag the back of the plate. I do not have obstruction. I have an safe or out based on the result of the play(maybe an OBS as play develops closer to the plate). Changes path towards back of plate within 5 feet (5' to 10' is a gray area and HTBT) and If catcher has ball-nothing. If F2 does not have ball most likely OBS.

Once again. A Fielder can stand anywhere a fielder wants to stand! Umpires need to allow this play to develop like the rule wasstill "about to receive", but then make the call based on "ball in hand".

IMHO Any umpire that calls obstruction with the runner over 10 feet away (I think your better blues bring this in to 5') are blowing the call and doing a disservice to great action.

(Of course OBS is a HTBT situation, and what I just said does not cover every thing that could happen are that is seen by a blue as the play develops)
vcblue

by MTR » Tue May 11, 2010 3:00 pm

I agree in principle with just about everything vcblue has posted except assigning a distance. Ten feet isn't that far for a runner, less than two steps for some, one for some adults.

If a runner is coming full speed and has to check up 20' away because a defender is impeding his/her progress, the runner is getting the benefit of doubt. The runner has the right of way and the fielder has no rights at all when it comes to receiving a throw.
MTR

by softball_rules5 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Let me play devils advocate here a little bit - you talk about a runner deviating from the line. I had two umpires recently tell me that it doesnt matter if the runner leaves their line - if they hook slide and contact is made before the ball arrives (no matter how close the two are to being there together) he has OBS. I said so even if the front of the bag is open, your telling me to teach every base runner to slide and make contact and that is OBS to which he replied yes - when I asked where can a fielder set up (and this is where I have the real problem with OBS being called too much) they have no answer. Now I know every play is different, but when you straddle the bag and leave the front open to the runner, but yet will bail them out with OBS on a hook slide, that to me is wrong. Again, I see way too many umps bailing out bad base running with OBS.
softball_rules5

by MTR » Tue May 11, 2010 7:33 pm

softball_rules5 wrote:Let me play devils advocate here a little bit - you talk about a runner deviating from the line. I had two umpires recently tell me that it doesnt matter if the runner leaves their line - if they hook slide and contact is made before the ball arrives (no matter how close the two are to being there together) he has OBS.

To start, get "line" out of your mind, it has no bearing on the call. There runner can run anywhere s/he pleases.

I said so even if the front of the bag is open, your telling me to teach every base runner to slide and make contact and that is OBS to which he replied yes - when I asked where can a fielder set up (and this is where I have the real problem with OBS being called too much) they have no answer.

That is because there is no real answer. Fielder can set up anywhere as long as they do not impede the runners progress.

Now I know every play is different, but when you straddle the bag and leave the front open to the runner, but yet will bail them out with OBS on a hook slide, that to me is wrong. Again, I see way too many umps bailing out bad base running with OBS.

Look, this is softball. You sound like you want baseball. Different game, bubba.
MTR

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner