Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Intentionally taking the catcher out

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by fasterpitch92701 » Fri May 02, 2008 8:22 pm

Catcher has the ball in her possession. Runner takes a full running shot at the catcher, shoulder down, literally moves her horizontally 8 feet landing on her back. But she maintains possession of the ball (with which she tagged the runner).

I have heard two responses from blues;

#1, runner out, that's it.
#2, runner out and out of the game for attempting to cause intentional harm.

I believe the correct call is the runner is out regardless of whether the ball is dropped or not, based on the runner interfering with a defensive player. As for ejection, I would think it would be at the discretion of the umpire.

If the runner make an obvious move to take the catcher out with no intent of avoiding the ball and, by all appearences, with intent of taking the catcher out of the game, what's the correct call?

Insights appreciated.

Thank you
fasterpitch92701

by CallingCadence14 » Fri May 02, 2008 8:46 pm

Out!!!Out at the plate.Out of the Park.Out of the tournament.
No exception for malicious intent to cause harm! If a Coach says good Job he's gone too.
Final.
CallingCadence14

by fasterpitch92701 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:21 pm

Thank you. I believe you are 100% correct. I'm not a blue or an expert but I can't imagine any other way to rationally call it.
fasterpitch92701

by wadeintothem » Fri May 02, 2008 10:03 pm

A runner remaining standing and shouldering in = Out and ejected, regardless of whether F2 maintains possession of the ball. This is crash interference and malicious.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MTR » Sun May 04, 2008 8:05 am

wadeintothem wrote:A runner remaining standing and shouldering in = Out and ejected, regardless of whether F2 maintains possession of the ball. This is crash interference and malicious.

It is also based upon the umpire's judgment. Granted, as posted, it sounds as if this should cause an ejection. However, without seeing it myself, I'll defer to the umpire who was working the game.

That does not mean s/he is absolutely correct, just that the ruling is entirely up to the umpire, not anyone else's opinion of the play.
MTR

Return to The Umpire Corner