Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Substitute Players

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by texas_snowman » Thu May 15, 2008 10:55 am

We are a 14-U team entering our first year playing tournaments. We have been together as a rec team for several years and have always batted the entire lineup in all games and rec tournaments. However, last weekend in tournament play, we were introduced to the rule where 9 of our girls were listed on the lineup as regular batters, and two of them were listed as subs. We were able to muddle through with some help from the PU as far as substituting. Can someone explain this rule, or point me in the right direction. I am not the coach of our team, but I could tell he wasn't as informed in this area as he needs to be.

TIA
texas_snowman
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sportzjunky » Thu May 15, 2008 10:59 am

What association was this in?
The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure.
These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur.
- Vince Lombardi
sportzjunky

by texas_snowman » Thu May 15, 2008 11:16 am

<What association was this in?>

Sorry, we're a North Texas ASA B-Team
texas_snowman
Premium Member
Premium Member

by JEL » Thu May 15, 2008 3:01 pm

Well to point you in the right direction I would say, "the rule book?"

Without getting into the DP/FLEX option which you should learn, here are the basics.

When line-ups are given to the umpire, 9 players are listed as the "starting players." They are now "in the game." The remainder are listed as "subs" and are not in the game. These 9 players can play any position on the field, but must stay "in order" in the batting lie-up. All players have one right to "re-entry."

At any time during the game the coach can enter a sub for any of the 9 and the sub is now in the game, but the starting player leaves (sub will bat in the starters spot in the batting order). The starter may return, but she MUST bat again in her original spot. The sub will have left the game. At this point, the starter has used her re-entry, she may again be replaced by the original sub, or another sub who has not yet been used. Once she comes out of the game a second time, she can not re-enter, her day is done. The sub(s) who are entered for any starter MUST take that players spot in the batting order, and if they re-enter (once only) they must do so in that spot. If that sub is then removed she has used up her re-entry and is finished for the game also. A sub can sub for a sub (just think that one out), but must occupy the batting spot where they were subbed. Once a sub is entered into say the fourth batting spot, she is locked into that spot and must return only there if a return is desired.

As I said above, there is also a DP/FlEX option which allows 10 players in the game, but only 9 will bat. There is also a "courtesy runners" option and these are done by l;egal subs who have not ever been in the game.

It really is simple, but you need to get ahold of a rule book
JEL

by MTR » Thu May 15, 2008 3:03 pm

texas_snowman wrote:We are a 14-U team entering our first year playing tournaments. We have been together as a rec team for several years and have always batted the entire lineup in all games and rec tournaments. However, last weekend in tournament play, we were introduced to the rule where 9 of our girls were listed on the lineup as regular batters, and two of them were listed as subs. We were able to muddle through with some help from the PU as far as substituting. Can someone explain this rule, or point me in the right direction. I am not the coach of our team, but I could tell he wasn't as informed in this area as he needs to be.

TIA

You need to read ASA Rule 4 (it's only 7 pages) and rule 7.2 If you can get a rules-knowledgeable ASA umpire to sit down and answer your questions afterward, your coaching staff should be okay.
MTR

by texas_snowman » Thu May 15, 2008 7:07 pm

Thanks for the info. You have been very helpful. I'll get a rule book to further educate myself.
texas_snowman
Premium Member
Premium Member

by wadeintothem » Thu May 15, 2008 8:25 pm

texas_snowman wrote:Thanks for the info. You have been very helpful. I'll get a rule book to further educate myself.

Words to live by... :lol:
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

Return to The Umpire Corner