Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

I don't think it was right

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by K'SDAD » Fri May 16, 2008 8:28 pm

Had this happen tonight. R1 on second R2 on first one out. Batter strikes out catcher drops ball The batter trots toward first then the catcher throws to first R1 and R2 advance. Blue calls batter out, of course she can't advance when first is occupied, but then blue returned runners to first and second. I say live ball runners can advance at own risk. If I am wrong I know ya'll let me know. BTW this is 12u ASA. Neither was my team just observed and thought blue got it wrong.
K'SDAD

by Travel Ball » Fri May 16, 2008 9:09 pm

Ump wrong. Live ball. Runners advance at their own risk. Only way they go back is if umpire determines offense was attempting to deceive the defense. 12u "A" ASA . . . no way that should get called . . . if it ever should. Let's see what wadeintothem thinks. He is the authority on all things blue . . . I'm just some silly, sno-cone dude who is clueless about the rules, or so I'm told.
Travel Ball

by umpinva » Fri May 16, 2008 9:31 pm

K'SDAD wrote:Had this happen tonight. R1 on second R2 on first one out. Batter strikes out catcher drops ball The batter trots toward first then the catcher throws to first R1 and R2 advance. Blue calls batter out, of course she can't advance when first is occupied, but then blue returned runners to first and second. I say live ball runners can advance at own risk. If I am wrong I know ya'll let me know. BTW this is 12u ASA. Neither was my team just observed and thought blue got it wrong.

Blue was wrong. Batter is out and runners advanced at risk and stay at second and third. I agree that it would have been a stretch in judgment to bang the batter for interference. That's an ugly penality with the runner closest to home being called out also.
umpinva

by wadeintothem » Fri May 16, 2008 10:50 pm

Travel Ball wrote: I'm just some silly, sno-cone dude who is clueless about the rules, or so I'm told.

You are a silly snow cone eating mustard dribbling straw hat wearing squawk box stalker..

But, for once, you are mostly correct.

The rule book is clear on this one and drawing a throw on D3K is specifically excluded from an INT call in ASA.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by K'SDAD » Sat May 17, 2008 12:12 am

Thanks all, I found the rule. Rule8 section7-P

When, after being declared out or after scoring, an offensive player interferes
with a defensive player’s opportunity to make a play on another runner.
EFFECT: The ball is dead. The runner closest to home plate at the time of the
interference is out. All runners not out must return to the last base touched
at the time of the interference.
NOTE: A runner continuing to run and drawing a throw may be considered
a form of interference. This does not apply to the batter-runner running on
the dropped third strike rule.
K'SDAD

Return to The Umpire Corner