Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Pitcher rubbing dirt on a softball

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by ice_67 » Mon May 19, 2008 11:24 am

Is rubbing dirt on a softball legal? ASA rules. Saw a pitcher take a hand full of dirt and rub it on the ball last weekend. She did this multiple times. I thought it could be called as applying a foreign substance to the ball.
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

by Hitmechanic » Mon May 19, 2008 11:27 am

ice_67 wrote:Is rubbing dirt on a softball legal? ASA rules. Saw a pitcher take a hand full of dirt and rub it on the ball last weekend. She did this multiple times. I thought it could be called as applying a foreign substance to the ball.

Correct. Illegal pitch.
'Wait for a good post to slam"-Big K.
Hitmechanic

by MTR » Tue May 20, 2008 3:06 pm

ice_67 wrote:Is rubbing dirt on a softball legal? ASA rules. Saw a pitcher take a hand full of dirt and rub it on the ball last weekend. She did this multiple times. I thought it could be called as applying a foreign substance to the ball.

To rub down the ball, legal. To apply to stay on the ball, illegal
MTR

by 2bucketdad » Thu May 22, 2008 12:54 pm

Not even supposed to rub dirt on your hand and pit your hand on directly on the ball without first wiping your hand. Illegal pitch ball to the batter any runners advance one base.
2bucketdad

by skahtboi » Fri May 23, 2008 9:36 am

MTR wrote:

To rub down the ball, legal. To apply to stay on the ball, illegal

Not sure what you are saying here, but if I understand you, you are saying the players can rub the ball with dirt? This is not true. Not in ASA, NFHS, or NCAA. This is why, when schools fail to "rough up" new game balls before game time, I have the fielders warm up with them.
skahtboi

by MTR » Fri May 23, 2008 2:20 pm

skahtboi wrote:
MTR wrote:
Not sure what you are saying here, but if I understand you, you are saying the players can rub the ball with dirt? This is not true. Not in ASA, NFHS, or NCAA. This is why, when schools fail to "rough up" new game balls before game time, I have the fielders warm up with them.

That's funny, because I just pick up an handful of dirt and rub down the ball.

I am aware of the case play, but a little common sense is in order here. The dirt is a common factor in the game. The ball rolls on, is thrown and batted into the dirt the entire game. How can a substance which is part of the field and game be considered a foreign substance?

I didn't say "apply it to the ball" or pitch the ball with dirt attached to it or still in the hand. I'm not talking about rubbing or scraping the ball on the ground. I'm simply talking about taking some dirt in one's hand and rubbing the ball. All it does is remove the machine-applied sheen from the ball. IOW, doing the same thing that "may" occur by throwing/rolling the ball into the dirt, just doing it more efficiently and evenly over the surface of the ball.
MTR

by ice_67 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:01 pm

MTR wrote:
skahtboi wrote:
MTR wrote:

That's funny, because I just pick up an handful of dirt and rub down the ball.

I am aware of the case play, but a little common sense is in order here. The dirt is a common factor in the game. The ball rolls on, is thrown and batted into the dirt the entire game. How can a substance which is part of the field and game be considered a foreign substance?

I didn't say "apply it to the ball" or pitch the ball with dirt attached to it or still in the hand. I'm not talking about rubbing or scraping the ball on the ground. I'm simply talking about taking some dirt in one's hand and rubbing the ball. All it does is remove the machine-applied sheen from the ball. IOW, doing the same thing that "may" occur by throwing/rolling the ball into the dirt, just doing it more efficiently and evenly over the surface of the ball.

MTR,

I understand your point, but when I see a pitcher get called for IP for not wiping her hands after she brushed her fingers into the dirt, then what's the difference.
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

by MTR » Sat May 24, 2008 4:16 pm

ice_67 wrote:
MTR,

I understand your point, but when I see a pitcher get called for IP for not wiping her hands after she brushed her fingers into the dirt, then what's the difference.

I think that is just as ludicrous as calling an IP for a pitcher not wiping off their fingers after going to the mouth.

Just how is the ball of that size going to be affected by a pitcher licking her fingers? A pitcher can use resin on their hands, but not dirt. How does that make any sense? On top of that, it isn't really enforcable. A pitcher goes to the mouth or dirt, drops the hand to the pants and similates wiping their fingers, but actually does not. There is no umpire who is going to see that or stop the game to make that call.
MTR

by skahtboi » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:34 am

MTR wrote:
ice_67 wrote:
MTR,

I think that is just as ludicrous as calling an IP for a pitcher not wiping off their fingers after going to the mouth.

Just how is the ball of that size going to be affected by a pitcher licking her fingers? A pitcher can use resin on their hands, but not dirt. How does that make any sense? On top of that, it isn't really enforcable. A pitcher goes to the mouth or dirt, drops the hand to the pants and similates wiping their fingers, but actually does not. There is no umpire who is going to see that or stop the game to make that call.

Bottom line is that is what the rules say. Call the IP if they apply any foreign substance, other than roisin (resin) with umpire supervision. It doesn't matter if you agree with the rule or not. There are several rules I don't necessarily agree with, but I, as an umpire, will enforce them to the letter.

If you are an umpire, and you aren't enforcing these rules, then you aren't living up to your responsibilities.
skahtboi

by slider201 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:52 am

I've even seen umpires rub dirt on a new ball, scrape a new ball on the ground, and beat a new ball against a brick wall.
Media idiots: learn the meaning of the word troop(s). A soldier is not a troop, stupid.
troop: 1 a: a group of soldiers; b: a cavalry unit corresponding to an infantry company; c: plural: armed forces soldiers
slider201

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner