Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Base Path

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by ziggymom » Tue May 20, 2008 9:08 am

My second daughter had a situation at her game last night that I'd like some info on, if you please! (Must be my week for questions!) I understand that the runner establishes her own base path, etc. I also understand (or have had it told to me) that the runner can run over the entire field if she wants if no play is being made on her as long as that is the path she has established. Here is what happened, though...

B1 running to 1B. F3 standing about 3 - 4 feet inside fair territory and about 1/4 way up the line. No play being made. B1 runs into fair territory and brushes by F3. Ump signals obstruction and awards 2nd (reason unknown). Coach argues that B1 had to actually alter her course to 1B to brush into F3 and that since no play was being made on her (ball in circle), she was going to get to 1B safely anyway. Ump said it did not matter whether F3 was in her way or not. He indicated that, if the runner wanted to run out to CF and bump into her, it would still be obstruction on the fielder, as it is the fielder's job to get out of the way when she is establishing her base path. Is this really correct? If it is, what prevents a runner from going to the circle and taking out the pitcher on the way to 1b?
ziggymom

by d19softball » Tue May 20, 2008 9:20 am

the runner is only protected between the bases that the obstruction happened at unless in the umpires judgment that the runner would have made it to that base without obstruction. I think the umpires did not understand the ruling on the play or I am reading the situation wrong. It must also be on the basepath already established by the runner. They cannot reestablish the basepath.
d19softball

by Hitmechanic » Tue May 20, 2008 9:52 am

ziggymom wrote: Is this really correct?

:roll: no.
'Wait for a good post to slam"-Big K.
Hitmechanic

by skahtboi » Tue May 20, 2008 12:46 pm

To clarify. The runner cannot be put out (barring limited situations) between the two bases in which they were OBS, in your case home and first. Also, the runner should be awarded the base that she would have received, in the judgement of the umpire, had the OBS not occurred.

To the second part of your question as to what prevents a runner, or a BR from running to the circle and taking out the pitcher on their way to first, there are several rules that govern this. The first that comes to my mind is unsportsmanlike conduct. You must remember that if a runner, or BR initiates contact for no apparent reason, they run the risk of having either the USC rule applied to them, or of being called out for interference if that rule applies.
skahtboi

Return to The Umpire Corner