Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

I don't get it!

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by skahtboi » Fri May 23, 2008 9:32 am

Cannonball wrote:Then, what you are all saying is that the "Point of Emphasis" for this year, namely illegal pitches, as presented at our state rules meeting was so much hot air. What you are also saying is that coaches should just accept the fact that no illegal pitch is going to be called. You further suggest that the base umpire has no responsibility to enforce illegal pitches. Ironically, I know coaches that count on that.

I don't believe anyone was saying that. But for me to call the lane violation, it has to be very obvious to me. Not to the coaches, not to the players. Try focusing on an object moving at you at 50-60 mph, and then tell me what else you can see. The primary focus is to call the pitch (ball or strike). Have I called a lane violation? I certainly have. But they are always the extremely obvious ones.

Now, as to calling the other IP's, that is a little easier to do. As the PU, I am watching the pitcher the entire time, so I am going to notice something like a double touch, as there is nothing else requiring my primary focus. As a BU, it is easy to call leaps, hops...etc. as again that IS my primary focus when no runners are on.

If you want to see how difficult it can be focusing on a pitch, borrow an umpire's gear and try it for a few pitches. You will see that it is not that we don't want to call every violation, but that sometimes there is something else a little more important to focus on. ;)
skahtboi

by Cannonball » Fri May 23, 2008 12:12 pm

skahtboi wrote:If you want to see how difficult it can be focusing on a pitch, borrow an umpire's gear and try it for a few pitches. You will see that it is not that we don't want to call every violation, but that sometimes there is something else a little more important to focus on. ;)

I once was a catcher and so, I understand. I believe I've done a terrible job of making my point. I apologize.
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by MTR » Sat May 24, 2008 4:24 pm

MTR wrote:
Yes, stepping outside the 24" is illegal. However, have you ever tried to watch a 4" sphere traveling toward you at 55-60 MPH with the intent of determining whether or not it is in the strike zone while trying to check the location of the pitcher's feet?

The priority is the ball/strike call. There is no way the umpire will be on the strike zone if watching the pitcher's feet and they cannot stop play after every pitch, run out to the circle to check the ground and then determine whether the pitcher was outside the 24".

Taryne Mowatt was called for a 24" violation in the first game today. There is no doubt that she did on that pitch. She was also outside the 24" for the other 150 or so pitchers she threw today which were not called illegal. It is no secret this is how Mowatt pitches. Everyone in the world knows it. It could very well be thet the umpires were instructed to call the violation.
MTR

by Cannonball » Sun May 25, 2008 12:03 pm

I saw that as well. The question then I have, and point made by another poster, is if this doesn't give her an advantage then why does she do it? I believe it changes the angle she throws the ball which, in turn, "looks different" to the hitter than any other pitcher. Therefore, they can't get a normal read on any of her pitches. I believe that it is a real advantage and the point clearly made after the rule was enforced on one pitch and then ignored the rest of the game AND tournament is that the rule will not be enforced. That was a "complimentary" enforcement of the rule at best. Of course one would point out that Mowatt took advantage of what she was allowed to do whether in our out of the rulebook's guidelines.
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by umpinva » Tue May 27, 2008 12:47 pm

wadeintothem wrote:Be mindful of the fact many pitchers plates are 18"...

Also, you cant call an IP after the fact based on an alleged divot.

You must DDB it immediately when you see it.

The umpire made a mistake too many make.. they ran their yap.

Excellent point.

This weekend I umpired an 18U tournament in Pennsylvania. As the BU in one of the games, when I went to dust the 24" pitching plate (not 18") going into the bottom of the first inning I noticed the divot was about two feet outside of the 24" where F1's foot was landing. As we did the ball exchange I informed the PU what I saw. Top of second I went over and dusted the pitching plate again and also smoothed the dirt around the landing area. Second pitch of the inning my partner called the illegal pitch (24" violation). DC came out and my partner showed him where F1's foot was landing. F1 corrected her landing area and there were no further IP's.
umpinva

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner