Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

I don't get it!

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Cannonball » Tue May 20, 2008 8:15 pm

We all know that umpiring is a thankless job so first, THANKS! In recent weeks, we've run into 2 seperate pitchers that have taken their left foot, and as they slid their right foot to the side, they also step to the side with their left foot clearly leaving it outside the width of the rubber. In fact, in one game, our coach asked the ump to come to the mound to see the divot or hole left by one of these young ladies. In both cases, the ump said that they realized that the pitcher was throwing illegally. So, why isn't it called? I just don't get it.

BTW, I don't think that these umps are doing these young ladies a favor. We play tournaments in one particular complex where not only is the umpiring top notch, they will call it all. I've seen pitcher fall apart when they go over there. In their local leagues they've been able to get away with breaking the rules and now, they have ingrained terrible, illegal habits that they can't easily alter in game situations. JMHO!
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by umpinva » Wed May 21, 2008 11:30 am

Cannonball wrote:We all know that umpiring is a thankless job so first, THANKS! In recent weeks, we've run into 2 seperate pitchers that have taken their left foot, and as they slid their right foot to the side, they also step to the side with their left foot clearly leaving it outside the width of the rubber. In fact, in one game, our coach asked the ump to come to the mound to see the divot or hole left by one of these young ladies. In both cases, the ump said that they realized that the pitcher was throwing illegally. So, why isn't it called? I just don't get it.

BTW, I don't think that these umps are doing these young ladies a favor. We play tournaments in one particular complex where not only is the umpiring top notch, they will call it all. I've seen pitcher fall apart when they go over there. In their local leagues they've been able to get away with breaking the rules and now, they have ingrained terrible, illegal habits that they can't easily alter in game situations. JMHO!

It's the umpire's judgment on F1's landing outside the 24" allowed. What's one umpire's 24" could be another umpire's 26".
umpinva

by MTR » Wed May 21, 2008 6:48 pm

Cannonball wrote:We all know that umpiring is a thankless job so first, THANKS! In recent weeks, we've run into 2 seperate pitchers that have taken their left foot, and as they slid their right foot to the side, they also step to the side with their left foot clearly leaving it outside the width of the rubber. In fact, in one game, our coach asked the ump to come to the mound to see the divot or hole left by one of these young ladies. In both cases, the ump said that they realized that the pitcher was throwing illegally. So, why isn't it called? I just don't get it.

Yes, stepping outside the 24" is illegal. However, have you ever tried to watch a 4" sphere traveling toward you at 55-60 MPH with the intent of determining whether or not it is in the strike zone while trying to check the location of the pitcher's feet?

The priority is the ball/strike call. There is no way the umpire will be on the strike zone if watching the pitcher's feet and they cannot stop play after every pitch, run out to the circle to check the ground and then determine whether the pitcher was outside the 24".
MTR

by wadeintothem » Wed May 21, 2008 7:23 pm

Be mindful of the fact many pitchers plates are 18"...

Also, you cant call an IP after the fact based on an alleged divot.

You must DDB it immediately when you see it.

The umpire made a mistake too many make.. they ran their yap.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Cannonball » Thu May 22, 2008 2:53 pm

Then, what you are all saying is that the "Point of Emphasis" for this year, namely illegal pitches, as presented at our state rules meeting was so much hot air. What you are also saying is that coaches should just accept the fact that no illegal pitch is going to be called. You further suggest that the base umpire has no responsibility to enforce illegal pitches. Ironically, I know coaches that count on that.

Again, I understand that umpiring is very hard. I salute all of you that do it. I do question that once an ump or umpiring crew admits that they see illegal practices that they can then look the other way. Further, in noting the 24" and/or the illegal placement of the foot on the back of the rubber, those things shouldn't be that hard to determine. Yes, I understand that there is a fine line on some strides. Still on others their stride out should be clear. Regarding that back foot, that seems even easier to determine. Once again, I can and will state here that if you go to certain parks, they takes this very seriously and illegal pitches get called all of the time. Therefore, I presume that if they can do it, most good umpires can do it.

I'll wrap by saying that the "yapping" of the umpires in these two games was not the biggest mistake. A lack of enforcing the rules was. I guess one area coach was right when he suggest that I am doing my daughter a disservice by teaching her the rules. ;) :D
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

Cannonball

by melsdad » Thu May 22, 2008 4:15 pm

Cannonball wrote:Then, what you are all saying is that the "Point of Emphasis" for this year, namely illegal pitches, as presented at our state rules meeting was so much hot air. What you are also saying is that coaches should just accept the fact that no illegal pitch is going to be called. You further suggest that the base umpire has no responsibility to enforce illegal pitches. Ironically, I know coaches that count on that.

Again, I understand that umpiring is very hard. I salute all of you that do it. I do question that once an ump or umpiring crew admits that they see illegal practices that they can then look the other way. Further, in noting the 24" and/or the illegal placement of the foot on the back of the rubber, those things shouldn't be that hard to determine. Yes, I understand that there is a fine line on some strides. Still on others their stride out should be clear. Regarding that back foot, that seems even easier to determine. Once again, I can and will state here that if you go to certain parks, they takes this very seriously and illegal pitches get called all of the time. Therefore, I presume that if they can do it, most good umpires can do it.

I'll wrap by saying that the "yapping" of the umpires in these two games was not the biggest mistake. A lack of enforcing the rules was. I guess one area coach was right when he suggest that I am doing my daughter a disservice by teaching her the rules. ;) :D

At least you didn't knock him out
melsdad

by NoNothin » Thu May 22, 2008 6:00 pm

Cannonball, I called games for about 17 years and coached now for about 10 and IMHO if it doesn't give an unfair advantage I don't push the issue unless a coach (politely and correctly) brings it up and if it is only one pitcher and both sides....I will enforce it. If you watch the top pitchers (Jenny Finch included) they all push the limits a little. My advice is if it doesn't give an advantage then relax and enjoy the sport. JMHWO

NoNo
Respect All Fear None!!!!
NoNothin

by Cannonball » Thu May 22, 2008 6:44 pm

NoNo, I too have coached for a long time. However, I'd never agree to be an umpire. They are Saints compared to me. My dd's team also won both games. I guess the point is when the rule says one thing EXACTLY and the enforcement is left to when and if someone decides to enforce it. I had a similar argument a few years ago at a rules meeting. If you aren't aware of it, in the State of Illinois, both Umpires and Coaches are required to attend a state sponsored rules meeting prior to the season. Therefore, both are in the same meeting. I pointed out that while the black of the plate is not a part of the plate, in fact a ball can be over the black and have a portion of the ball over the white. It was in reference to one umpire who constantly insisted in our games that if a ball was over the black it was a ball regardless of whether any white from the baseball was over the plate. I just couldn't let it go. The Rules are written for a reason and should not be determined by what someone decides to enforce on any given day. I guess that is my point although I have presented my case poorly and people have gotten defensive. Again, I've coached for a LONG TIME. In all that time, I've never been ejected from a game and believe I have great respect from the Umpires in our area. I understand the need for judgement calls. I understand that they are difficult for Umpires. I don't understand not enforcing those rules that should not be judgement.

Regarding my snide comment on teaching my child how to pitch, I have my own personal belief system which would never support bending/breaking the rules. You can never be a winner that way regardless of the outcome of competition. JMHO!

Cannonball

by NoNothin » Thu May 22, 2008 9:11 pm

Cannonball, We used to require a similar meeting when I umped with a rec league years ago. I think it is a great idea for travel ball to have a mandetory meeting with umpires before the season so that the coaches can learn the rules and what blues are going to push. The blues might even learn a thing or two.

NoNo
Respect All Fear None!!!!
NoNothin

by wadeintothem » Fri May 23, 2008 7:32 am

Well lets see.. I've been to protests, hearings, had ejections, game forfeits, been assaulted, been fried and lied about in the press, had teams walk of the field, been boo'd, jeered, cussed up side and down the other, "let the girls play" they all say....

All because I WILL call the IP.

But I can understand why some umpires dont feel like putting up with you parents and coaches for doing so.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner