Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

The Infield Fly

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by just play » Tue May 27, 2008 12:35 am

I know and have read most of the required parts to an infield fly being called, but here is a scenario I need help with...

Very windy day where wind blows from CF into H. A routine pop up behind the pitching circle could end up at home plate or even behind. Bases loaded and less then 2 outs... Pop up towards 2B but blows back in towards Home, Home Plate umpire calls INFIELD FLY. Here are the scenarios:
1) Ball drifts 15 ft in front of Home up the 1B line, no effort from the infielders to catch the ball as they look at each other for someone to catch it. Ball lands in fair ground and then rolls foul...
2) Ball drifts into foul ground and again is not caught
3) Ball drifts and goes over the dugout, out of play
***Remember the Home plate umpire already called INFIELD FLY... 1) was this correct or shoud he/she waited to see where the ball would end up due to the wind, even though they are to call it at the ball's highest point and 2) can the runners still advance at their own risk?
just play

by d19softball » Tue May 27, 2008 4:45 am

What should be stated in all infield fly situations is "infield fly if fair" is what is normally said so the blue got it right it is a foul ball being that it was not touched and rolled foul.
d19softball

by wadeintothem » Tue May 27, 2008 5:50 am

just play wrote:I know and have read most of the required parts to an infield fly being called, but here is a scenario I need help with...

Very windy day where wind blows from CF into H. A routine pop up behind the pitching circle could end up at home plate or even behind. Bases loaded and less then 2 outs... Pop up towards 2B but blows back in towards Home, Home Plate umpire calls INFIELD FLY. Here are the scenarios:
1) Ball drifts 15 ft in front of Home up the 1B line, no effort from the infielders to catch the ball as they look at each other for someone to catch it. Ball lands in fair ground and then rolls foul...

Infield fly.. "could be caught with ordinary effort" is the rule. Whether the team makes that effort or not is irrelevant.

2) Ball drifts into foul ground and again is not caught
3) Ball drifts and goes over the dugout, out of play

It must be a fair ball to be IF, so DB strike, play on.

***Remember the Home plate umpire already called INFIELD FLY... 1) was this correct or shoud he/she waited to see where the ball would end up due to the wind, even though they are to call it at the ball's highest point and

I probably wouldnt wait.. IF if fair is sufficient if I determine its a IF.

2) can the runners still advance at their own risk?

Run rules remain the exact same on IF. Nothing about them changes except the Batter is out.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by just play » Wed May 28, 2008 12:15 am

Thanks very much for the clarification.
just play

Return to The Umpire Corner