Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

DH Question

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by softballfan33 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:19 pm

We have a pitcher on our team with a great bat. And although she can play other positions, due to a medical condition, we don't use her if she isn't pitching (to give her the rest). I do like to have her bat in the line up though so we frequently use her as the DH for our weakest hitter. At state (ASA) last year we ran into an ump that stated if she was used as a DH and we brought her in to pitch, we had to remove our flex from her defensive position (usually our second baseman or our catcher are the ones we DH for). I had always understood that both DH and flex could play defense at the same time, they just can't bat in the same line up as they are tied in the same hole nor can the DH take the place of the flex (same position) in the field without being a true "sub". If I am wrong please correct me, but since we only have 11 players, we like to make sure we are making good use of what we have. All 3 of our pitchers are VERY good batters so we don't DH for them at this level (now first year 14U) so I am not flexing the position I would be putting her in the field for. Have I misread my rule book?

I looked back for a year or so and didn't see anything that would answer my question. If it is there, sorry for the reprint. Just direct me to the correct place. Thanks.
softballfan33

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:33 pm

Are you saying this is a physically challenged player ? If so, there is an Americans with Disablities Acts rule, so clarify please ... And the correct terminology would be EP or DP, not DH ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by softballfan33 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:44 pm

No, she is diabetic and her sugars are all over the place as she was newly diagnosed last year. We use the games in between to "level her out" so that she can pitch her next one.

Sorry, DP then.
softballfan33

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:58 pm

The DP may play ANY defensive position. If the DP plays defense for the FLEX, the FLEX is out of the game but may re-enter once. If the DP plays any other defensive position, that player continues to bat but and does not leave the game. So yes, they can both play defense at the same time but can not bat at the same time because they are tied to the same position in the batting order. If the FLEX bats, the DP has left the game but may return once.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by SnocatzDad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:02 am

If he's playing USSSA DH is the correct term. It's a pain but for all practical purposes

USSSA DH = ASA/NFHS DP
USSSA DP = ASA/NFHS Flex
SnocatzDad

by SnocatzDad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:10 am

I just read the 2011 USSSA Rule changes and I see they have decided to replace DH/DP with DP/Flex to match the other rule sets. So disregard my last post, but that is probably where the original poster came up with the terminology.
SnocatzDad

by ajaywill » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:57 am

softballfan33 - Your understanding is correct. The DP and the Flex can both be on defense at the same time, but not offense. This is one of the powerful effects of this rule and knowledgable coaches will use it in much the same manner as you describe.

Unfortunately, many umpires do not fully understand the DP/FLEX rule and how it can be used. It's one of the things that we try to go over repeatedly to get umpires trained, but there are still some out there that either don't get it or refuse to learn.

If this happens in a tournament setting, stop the game and get the UIC to the field.
ajaywill

by hit4power » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:14 am

The link below has some basic info on DP/Flex from the umpire perspective. Handy to review and helpful if you are not real sure how to manage DP/Flex.

Click on the Lineup Management link when you get there

http://www.cactusumpires.com/pages/main/asaumpstuff.html
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:03 pm

ajaywill wrote:softballfan33 - Your understanding is correct. The DP and the Flex can both be on defense at the same time, but not offense. This is one of the powerful effects of this rule and knowledgable coaches will use it in much the same manner as you describe.

Unfortunately, many umpires do not fully understand the DP/FLEX rule and how it can be used. It's one of the things that we try to go over repeatedly to get umpires trained, but there are still some out there that either don't get it or refuse to learn.

If this happens in a tournament setting, stop the game and get the UIC to the field.

Actually, it isn't that hard to understand, but most people out think themselves by looking for potholes that are not there.

As has been noted, both may play defense at the same time, but not offense. The key is keeping a good line-up card and apply the appropriate rules independently. Handle defensive moves with no consideration to the offense and the reverse for the offense. That makes thinks a little simpler and prevents getting one part confused with the other.
MTR

by SnocatzDad » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:49 am

I think the most confusing part of DP/flex is understanding what happens when the DP plays defense for the flex, or the flex plays offense for the DP(say as a runner once DP reaches base).

The concept that this is a half substitution and only affects one of the two players is a stretch. So in a game with DP/flex you could have the same flex run for the DP position an unlimited number of times as long as the flex plays defense the entire game. The DP would only get one reentry so the second time the flex ran for her she's done, but then you can bring in another legal sub to the DP position. So if you have a rabbit that can't hit a lick and a few bombers who can't field and are an embarrassment running the bases, you can really get some mileage out of this. With the predominance of the short game today every rabbit gets turned into a slapper/dragger so you don't really see the rule used that way often.
SnocatzDad

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner