Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Question: How Do I Handle an Injured HP

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Sam » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:56 am

[quote="skahtboi.[/quote]

As you omitted the level or type of ball you were talking about, you left it for the readers to make an assumption. Where does that place you on that northbound horse?

Trust me, if I had wanted to you a liar, I would have done just that. I wouldn't have veiled it behind some prose. I am a very straightforward guy. I am not here to argue with you. I read lots of umpiring sites every day. You sounded, in your OP, like so many other complaining SP coaches.

Now, to your "resolvement" of the issue. What do you expect to be able to do? How do you expect to be able to handle anything involving the umpires assigned to work your game? There is really little or nothing a coach can do in this type of case. (I have been on both sides of the umpire/coach debate.) You could have mentioned that you didn't feel that he was seeing pitches clearly, but that wouldn't have done anything but allow you to vent. Most associations prevent the switching of umpires for anything but illness or injury. You can't request a change. It won't happen. What you need to do, and what I have told my players many times when faced with "challenging" situations, is to work the best with what you have. That's about it.

Also, what did you gain from questioning the strike zone and getting tossed? I have found that getting tossed from a game is rarely a motivating tool. But that is just me.

As to this particular PU's partner talking about about the strike zone. Shame on him. Not only did he throw his partner under the bus, but he only added to the problems of an already problematic game.

Sorry if I failed to understand your OP, but you have to admit, some of the blame lies in the absence of information.[/quote]

The level of ball was irrelevant.

Why would I be posting SP questions on a FP forum?

I have bolded the actual response I was looking for. You actually answered my question and I appreciate that.

My purpose for being tossed was solely to let my pitcher know that I was standing up for her after she had worked her butt off...only to be forced to throw the ball like a rec ball pitcher.

I'm not sure I buy the "Blue Code of Silence" argument. Maybe this guy spoke to his partner about his zone between innings and the PU told him to kiss his behind...I don't know. I do know that the COS when applied to other functions only causes problems...police...doctors....schools...etc. It allows individuals that don't perform well to continue their bad performance. Talking to his partner after the game does nothing ....the horse has already left the barn.

If I have a fellow coach on my staff that complains vehemently to an umpire....ragging and nagging the whole game.....I talk to him about it....and I apologize to the umpire for his/her actions. If he continues to do it, I get rid of the coach.

You guys do very little to correct the actions of the few subpar individuals who umpire. Just my opinion.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by skahtboi » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:28 pm

Sam wrote:
You guys do very little to correct the actions of the few subpar individuals who umpire. Just my opinion.

Sadly, this is true. The biggest problem with that is, of course, the sheer number of umpires (and sports officials in general) required to cover assignments versus the number of available bodies to cover those assignments. The information, in the form of clinics and printed/digital material, is out there. However, you can only lead the horse to the lake (lotta horse statements being made in this thread, aren't there?!), you can't force him to take it in.

About 10 years or so ago, there was an abundant supply of umpires in this area. Assignments could be made on the level of performance. Every year, however, the numbers dwindle, and no matter how hard we try to recruit, we can't seem to get enough promising candidates. The biggest reason that non-retained officials give for not continuing is treatment by fans, players, and coaches.
skahtboi

by Sam » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:45 pm

skahtboi wrote:
Sam wrote:

Sadly, this is true. The biggest problem with that is, of course, the sheer number of umpires (and sports officials in general) required to cover assignments versus the number of available bodies to cover those assignments. The information, in the form of clinics and printed/digital material, is out there. However, you can only lead the horse to the lake (lotta horse statements being made in this thread, aren't there?!), you can't force him to take it in.

About 10 years or so ago, there was an abundant supply of umpires in this area. Assignments could be made on the level of performance. Every year, however, the numbers dwindle, and no matter how hard we try to recruit, we can't seem to get enough promising candidates. The biggest reason that non-retained officials give for not continuing is treatment by fans, players, and coaches.

We have the same problem with the quality of coaches....75% of them out there right now will tell you that the hand is part of the bat.... :roll:
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by wadeintothem » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:45 pm

Sam wrote:

I agree also..

In fact, sub par individuals who are addressed get moved down. Typically they get moved to lower age groups which can lead to interesting situations..

But as was pointed about by skah... there just aint enough blues. Thats simple fact.

Most blues I recruit and train last 1 season. Say 1 in 5 last.

That is because of your side of the fence.

So it is a vicious circle of which horrible coaches and fans play a big role in, even if they dont acknowledge it.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Patrick » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:47 pm

The Serenity Prayer is the common name for an originally untitled prayer, most commonly attributed to the theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. The prayer has been adopted by Alcoholics Anonymous and other twelve-step programs. While Niebuhr's authorship was once believed to be secure, Yale Book of Quotations editor Fred R. Shapiro in 2008 published evidence that puts elements of Niebuhr's claim in doubt and shows that a version of the prayer was in existence no later than 1936.
Patrick
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner