Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Move the Bat or Not to Move the Bat

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by bc0926 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Ball is hit... bat on the ground....play at home plate..bat in the way...
What gives who is supposed to move the bat. Umpire told my catcher, who is eleven it was her job to move it!...I went a little ballistic on the umpire. What about on deck batter.. I don't want them to get called for interference if im the offense. So at the 12 and under level to me that is not an option.
Who job is it. :shock:
bc0926

by Comp » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:58 pm

The bat becomes part of the field after it is out of the batters hands and laying still. If the catcher wants it out of her way, the catcher needs to move it. And no, your on deck batter should not be getting anywhere near the playing action while it is still going on.
Comp

by bc0926 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:08 pm

Ok here is a twist... catcher tires to move the bat, only moving it further in the way and has to stop for the play. Can the defense be punished?
bc0926

by HugoTafurst » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:34 pm

bc0926 wrote:Ok here is a twist... catcher tires to move the bat, only moving it further in the way and has to stop for the play. Can the defense be punished?

If she moves it and it hinders the runner, there is a penalty.

BTW, refarding your first post, the answer to your question:
"
who is supposed to move the bat (?)

No one is supposed to move the bat..

(the umpire was incorrect to tell you catcher that it was her job)

Just as incorrect as you were to "go ballistic" on the umpire.

At the 12 and under level, there is no excuse for anyone to be going ballistic on anyone.....
HugoTafurst

by MTR » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:05 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:(the umpire was incorrect to tell you catcher that it was her job)

I don't necessarily agree with you here. If anyone is to move it, that individual would be the catcher.

The umpire should never touch any of the game equipment except in the performance of their assigned duties.
MTR

by HugoTafurst » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:36 pm

MTR wrote:
HugoTafurst wrote:(the umpire was incorrect to tell you catcher that it was her job)

I don't necessarily agree with you here. If anyone is to move it, that individual would be the catcher.

The umpire should never touch any of the game equipment except in the performance of their assigned duties.

At no point did I say that the umpire should have moved the equipment.

My point is that it is not the catcher's job to move the bat as the umpire told her.
If she chooses to do it, anything bad that happenes is on her. She is not required to do anything with it.
HugoTafurst

by MTR » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:02 am

HugoTafurst wrote:At no point did I say that the umpire should have moved the equipment.

Didn't say you did.

My point is that it is not the catcher's job to move the bat as the umpire told her.
If she chooses to do it, anything bad that happenes is on her. She is not required to do anything with it.

And my point is the umpire was not incorrect.

The coach wanted to know who was responsible for moving the bat out of the way. The only possible correct answer is the catcher.

Have I seen the ODB clear a bat? Sure, but if they in anyway affect a play at the plate, that bat is going to be the least of anyone's concerns.

As a catcher, I always cleared the bat from in front of the plate. It's amazing how many times it ended up in the RH batter's box ;)
MTR

by bc0926 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:46 pm

Well I guess ballistic was a bad word..heated return is better after he told me my catcher needs to pick up the bat.

So what im looking at, is for the most part don't touch the bat. Let it lay for this age group.
bc0926

by HugoTafurst » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:14 am

MTR wrote:
HugoTafurst wrote:At no point did I say that the umpire should have moved the equipment.

Didn't say you did.

The coach wanted to know who was responsible for moving the bat out of the way. The only possible correct answer is the catcher.

(Snip)

Actually, the correct answer to "who is responsible for moving the bat away" is.........

No one is responsible for moving the bat away.....
HugoTafurst

by MTR » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:00 am

HugoTafurst wrote:

(Snip)

Actually, the correct answer to "who is responsible for moving the bat away" is.........

No one is responsible for moving the bat away.....

You are obviously correct, that would be the answer if it were a general statement. However, the coach is looking for a specific response of something he thought should fall to the offense. Maybe I should have stated if the defense wants the bat moved out of the way, it would be the catcher's position ;) to be responsible for that.
MTR

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner