Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Slapping w/2 strikes

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Comp » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:41 am

A bunt and a slap are 2 completely different things. Slapping the ball uses a swinging motion of the bat, a bunt, including a drag bunt do not.

ASA definition of a bunt: A pitched ball that is intentionally tapped with the bat, slowly, within the infield.

NCAA & FED definition of a bunt: A bunt is a legally batted ball not swung at but intentionally tapped with the bat.
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:57 am

Comp wrote:A bunt and a slap are 2 completely different things. Slapping the ball uses a swinging motion of the bat, a bunt, including a drag bunt do not.

ASA definition of a bunt: A pitched ball that is intentionally tapped with the bat, slowly, within the infield.

NCAA & FED definition of a bunt: A bunt is a legally batted ball not swung at but intentionally tapped with the bat.

Someone should slap or push you for dragging up those bunt definitions ... I think Anon was just making a play on words ... ;)

And as far as what may be an ensuing argument about the feet moving being an indication of bunt VS slap ... I disagree ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Comp » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:21 am

If it was in fact a play on words my apologies, but the frowny face deal did not make it appear to be in jest.

Have run into way to many coaches/people on opposite sides, many of them feeling any half swing by a slapper is a bunt attempt, and the other side thinking a slapper can do anything as long as they are moving and it isnt a bunt.
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:19 am

Comp wrote:If it was in fact a play on words my apologies, but the frowny face deal did not make it appear to be in jest.

Have run into way to many coaches/people on opposite sides, many of them feeling any half swing by a slapper is a bunt attempt, and the other side thinking a slapper can do anything as long as they are moving and it isnt a bunt.

Agreed ... you can run & drag bunt, run and push bunt etc. ... OR run and slap hit ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by tcannizzo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:30 pm

anonlooker wrote:A slap is a bunt in drag.

Was Tony Curtis the first slapper?

Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by MTR » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:01 am

tcannizzo wrote:
anonlooker wrote:A slap is a bunt in drag.

Was Tony Curtis the first slapper?

First sLAPPER? Ah, so that is where the term FLAPPER originated. ;)
MTR

by tcannizzo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:17 pm

Could be.
But let's not rule out the on-deck batter, in this case, Jack Lemmon.
Gawd, this is just wrong.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by rlt2 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:53 am

have heard the same thing from umps about body moving forward & argued the drag bunt example. check swings also cloud the bat head moving farther forward than the hands issue. have seen slappers moving forward, taking what i though to be a half "swing" to pop it over the infielders or softly "tapping" it on the ground.
rlt2

by MTR » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:53 am

rlt2 wrote:have heard the same thing from umps about body moving forward & argued the drag bunt example. check swings also cloud the bat head moving farther forward than the hands issue. have seen slappers moving forward, taking what i though to be a half "swing" to pop it over the infielders or softly "tapping" it on the ground.

AFA the rules are concerned, there is no such thing as a "half" swing. Either it is a swing, a bunt or nothing.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:34 pm

MTR wrote:
rlt2 wrote:have heard the same thing from umps about body moving forward & argued the drag bunt example. check swings also cloud the bat head moving farther forward than the hands issue. have seen slappers moving forward, taking what i though to be a half "swing" to pop it over the infielders or softly "tapping" it on the ground.

AFA the rules are concerned, there is no such thing as a "half" swing. Either it is a swing, a bunt or nothing.

PPFFFTTT ! Stay on topic ! .. Are you saying Jack Lemmon was a swinger or not ?
GIMNEPIWO

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner