Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

blocking the plate/Interference?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by PatriotsManager » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi:
I would like to describe a situation that occured. Would anyone please help me get a greater understanding of the call on this play?

Runner 1 (R1) attempts to score on a passed ball. Catcher (F1) retreives the ball and tosses it to the plate area to F2. At that same time R1 slides into F2 at the plate and F2 falls on her and loses the ball down the first base line. F2 remains on top of R1 prohibiting her from getting up to touch the plate safely. F3 tracks the ball down from first base area and runs it back to plate and places tag on R1. Ump calls her out. When asked why, he says that the F2 was not impeding her movement. (although R1 was literally pinned down and held during the tracking of the ball)

Help me understand why this would not be interference, if F2 does not have the ball can she block the baseline at all, much less lay on a runner.
PatriotsManager

by wadeintothem » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:57 pm

FYI:
F1=Pitcher
F2=Catcher
F3=1B

ASA Rules

Obstruction = (paraphrase and without referring to the rule book) a defensive player not in possession of the ball or in the act of fielding a batted ball who impedes the progress of a runner.

On your play, I have obstruction (not interference). As described, the progress of the runner is impeded by a fielder not in possession of the ball... so...

I have a delayed dead ball on the obstruction.

On the tag, I have dead ball.

and runner is awarded home since I judge the runner would have made home had there been no obstuction.

As you describe it, there is no "Why", the ump made a bad call.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by umpinva » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:48 pm

wadeintothem wrote:
As you describe it, there is no "Why", the ump made a bad call.

And that pretty much sums it up. If F1 while waiting for the throw from F2 was blocking the plate, that is Obstruction or if F1 was not blocking the plate without the ball, obstruction came into effect when F1 lost the ball and prohibited R1 from reaching the plate.
umpinva

by PatriotsManager » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:58 am

Thanks for confirming what I thought. I approached the umpire calmly, although my fans and others watching were screaming in disbelief, the umpire would not listen to me and the base ump fell asleep as well. It was a horrible moment for my girls. (not that good for me, and really bad for the umpires.) We will bounce back.

Thank you.

Hammar
PatriotsManager

by artomatic » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:55 am

PatriotsManager wrote:my fans and others watching were screaming,
We will bounce back.

Thank you.

Hammar

Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SSdad » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:45 am

LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's better to keep your mouth shut and look like you're stupid......
than to open it and remove all doubt.
SSdad

by NM FP Ump » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:53 am

Sounds like another text book case of F1 obstructing R1's path to home plate.

Trying to calm down the parents and trying to get the PU to see what you saw was probable a challenging moment for you. :P Not trying to tell you what to do, but.....

:idea: Try to get the PU away from all of the screaming mommies and daddies and calmly ask the PU what he saw. Then tell him what you saw and explain your position. Make it a discussion that makes the PU THINK about the call he just made. Sometimes, in judgment calls, umpires get confused with the rules and their interpretations and the things happening around them. Might have happened here, I don't know, HTBT, but seems like a bad call by the PU. BTW, BU can't overrule a judgment call, PU can only ask what BU saw, but please don't ask the PU to go to BU on a call that was PU's responsibility.
NM FP Ump

by wadeintothem » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:58 pm

He got the rule wrong.

If BU knows the rule and PU doesnt, he should get help on the rule.. and hopefully coach Hammer Time can figure out a tactful way to get that done.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by PatriotsManager » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:31 pm

The problem hinged on what appears to be an umpire that simply does not know the rule. It was not my ability/lack thereof to communicate to the umpire. (Although that is a critical skill that all managers must develop and I constantly work on it) By the time I requested the crowd to quiet down, the umpires were already meeting without my prompting. I was hoping not for an overrule by the BU, I did not want to attempt to show him up, but was hoping the HP ump would collect his thoughts and reverse his call in a manner that would be less embarrasing for himself. When he said the words "she was not impeded" I knew immediately that he 1) does not know what the word "impede" means. 2) Is unclear of the rule of obstruction. 3) suffers from a lack of professionalism because his arrogance obstructed and impeded him from making a call that a 7 year old could easily make.

This umpire is known as the "rules" ump. He constantly stops the game for minor issues even during friendlies. Such as, is the gate closed and secured completely, are the batting gloves on properly before the on-deck hitter is on the dirt, is the coach facing the hitter while he is in the box, are there conversations going on between opposing coaches during the game, this guy majors on the minors and blew it on the major decisions. What's next, checking the thread count on our socks? Ok, I'm officially vented. Thanks.
PatriotsManager

by MTR » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:11 am

PatriotsManager wrote:The problem hinged on what appears to be an umpire that simply does not know the rule. It was not my ability/lack thereof to communicate to the umpire. (Although that is a critical skill that all managers must develop and I constantly work on it) By the time I requested the crowd to quiet down, the umpires were already meeting without my prompting. I was hoping not for an overrule by the BU,

That would not be proper. One umpire cannot/should not overrule another umpire's call.

I did not want to attempt to show him up, but was hoping the HP ump would collect his thoughts and reverse his call in a manner that would be less embarrasing for himself. When he said the words "she was not impeded" I knew immediately that he 1) does not know what the word "impede" means. 2) Is unclear of the rule of obstruction. 3) suffers from a lack of professionalism because his arrogance obstructed and impeded him from making a call that a 7 year old could easily make.

This umpire is known as the "rules" ump. He constantly stops the game for minor issues even during friendlies. Such as, is the gate closed and secured completely, are the batting gloves on properly before the on-deck hitter is on the dirt, is the coach facing the hitter while he is in the box, are there conversations going on between opposing coaches during the game, this guy majors on the minors and blew it on the major decisions. What's next, checking the thread count on our socks? Ok, I'm officially vented. Thanks.

You found him!!!! Your PU was Ol' Smitty. Often describes an umpire who has been around for years, is more likely to be seen talking to others at a clinic instead of listening the the clinician, occasionally providing his own interpretation because he "has been around a lot longer than the kids who are making up the new rules." These type of umpires often attempt to endear themselves to the teams, coaches and parents through showing concern by making up the minor issues you note which have little to do with the umpire's duties. The only thing you noted that is even remotely an umpire's concern is an open gate.
MTR

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner