Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Non Approved Bat - oops !

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:01 am

I mentioned this in another thread and got no takers ...

NFHS - As an Ump, you remove a bat that you believe to be non-approved and later during the same game discover you were wrong ...

Here is how it went down ... I see the other team using a yellow Catalyst ... I thought they were all non-approved but check the list I keep with me and see that it is just the drop 8 that is non-approved ... I request time and go out to speak to the dish Blue ... I show her the list and say, " If that Catalyst is a drop 8 then it is a non-approved bat and that base runner is out ... " ... She takes the list and checks the bat, removes it from the game and calls the base runner out ...The opposing Coach checks the list and agrees, but in between innings asks to see the list again and I comply ... He brings it to the attention of the Blue that it was a drop 10 and not a drop 8 and therefore an approved bat ... The bat, although worn was marked in two areas showing 33-23 and also -10, She just missed it ... The opposing Coach missed it in the heat of the moment ...

So, does the bat come back in the game or not ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by HugoTafurst » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:50 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:I mentioned this in another thread and got no takers ...

NFHS - As an Ump, you remove a bat that you believe to be non-approved and later during the same game discover you were wrong ...

Here is how it went down ... I see the other team using a yellow Catalyst ... I thought they were all non-approved but check the list I keep with me and see that it is just the drop 8 that is non-approved ... I request time and go out to speak to the dish Blue ... I show her the list and say, " If that Catalyst is a drop 8 then it is a non-approved bat and that base runner is out ... " ... She takes the list and checks the bat, removes it from the game and calls the base runner out ...The opposing Coach checks the list and agrees, but in between innings asks to see the list again and I comply ... He brings it to the attention of the Blue that it was a drop 10 and not a drop 8 and therefore an approved bat ... The bat, although worn was marked in two areas showing 33-23 and also -10, She just missed it ... The opposing Coach missed it in the heat of the moment ...

So, does the bat come back in the game or not ?

Yes, the bat should be allowed back in the game.
HugoTafurst

by tcannizzo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:21 am

I can probably answer my own question, but is that the only "fix"?
Seems like an erroneous call placed a team in jeopardy.
GHSA has no protests allowed.
Too bad too sad?
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by Comp » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:51 am

Even if protests were allowed, the protest must be made prior to the next pitch.
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:07 am

Comp wrote " Yes, the bat should be allowed back in the game."

Comp wrote:Even if protests were allowed, the protest must be made prior to the next pitch.

That's what I was thinking ... But she didn't allow it back in the game .. . Maybe because after she admitted her error the Coach stopped pushing it ... And obviously, yes, it was way after the next pitch ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by DP3816 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:49 am

Comp wrote:Even if protests were allowed, the protest must be made prior to the next pitch.

That's true for an appeal. Most leagues or tournaments have their own rules concerning a protest. I don't seet how this protest could be up held. Apparently the basehit drove in no runs and if the game was won by the other by more than a run. I wouldn't see the point in a protest. I would think if a ump was going to check for unapproved bats they would do it prior to the game. That's the only time I've ever seen a ump check, but I'm here in Texas.
DP3816

Return to The Umpire Corner