Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Signs from catcher

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Sbstuby » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:02 am

Does a pitcher have to have both feet on the mound before taking the sign from the catcher
Sbstuby

by Comp » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:22 am

Pitcher can take their signal from anywhere they please. The rules state the pitcher must take, or appear to take a signal after stepping onto the pitching plate with the hands separated. That does not preclude them from taking the sign elsewhere.
Comp

by HugoTafurst » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:14 am

Sbstuby wrote:Does a pitcher have to have both feet on the mound before taking the sign from the catcher

If she is anywhere near a mound, you are on the wrong field!!!

:twisted:
Sorry, couldn't resist, but lets have a little respect for the game
HugoTafurst

by Sbstuby » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:10 am

Sorry. I meant pitching rubber
Sbstuby

by SoCalASABlue » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:06 pm

DD has been warned for taking the signal off the pitcher's plate AND for taking the signal while on the pitcher's plate.

What I have told her (and every other pitcher I've had on any of my teams) is to nod at the catcher when stepping onto the pitcher's plate even if the signal was received from me in the dugout or from someone in the stands.

I have also told DD (and all my players regardless of position) that adapting any game scenario to fit the inexperienced or crusty umpire's (that hasn't cracked the spine of the rule book in years) perception of the rules is part of softball and that complaining about it not being fair does no good.
SoCalASABlue

by MTR » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:40 pm

SoCalASABlue wrote:DD has been warned for taking the signal off the pitcher's plate AND for taking the signal while on the pitcher's plate.

What I have told her (and every other pitcher I've had on any of my teams) is to nod at the catcher when stepping onto the pitcher's plate even if the signal was received from me in the dugout or from someone in the stands.

I have also told DD (and all my players regardless of position) that adapting any game scenario to fit the inexperienced or crusty umpire's (that hasn't cracked the spine of the rule book in years) perception of the rules is part of softball and that complaining about it not being fair does no good.

Why would any umpire give a damn? For that matter, how would an umpire know what the pitcher is looking at or thinking? Just tell the putz there is no such rule. If s/he says there is, protest the game right there. If nothing else, maybe it will at least get the umpire to crack the book.
MTR

by Sbstuby » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:59 pm

I have a 10 year old and the ump told her he was going to call an illegal pitch becauuse both feet were not on the plate when she took the sign. Never heard that before.
Sbstuby

by MTR » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:21 pm

Sbstuby wrote:I have a 10 year old and the ump told her he was going to call an illegal pitch becauuse both feet were not on the plate when she took the sign. Never heard that before.

It is true that both feet must be in contact and within the 24" of the pitcher's plate when taking or appear to take a signal.

THERE IS ACTUALLY NO RULE REQUIRING THE PITCHER TO TAKE A SIGNAL, so the umpire is full of shit. As long as the pitcher comes to a hesitation with the hands separated, both feet in contact with the PP inside the 24", she is good. If an umpire tells you otherwise, protest as that is a misinterpretation of the rule.
MTR

by HugoTafurst » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:54 am

SoCalASABlue wrote:
(snip)
(snip)

Nice attitude
HugoTafurst

Return to The Umpire Corner