Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Interference/ Dead ball question

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Daddylawman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:36 am

I was watching the Florida- Alabama game Sunday and saw this play out. If anyone else saw the game and thinks I have my facts wrong, please feel free to chime in.

R1 on 1st and R2 on second. Less than two outs. Batter hits a ground ball to SS and the runner interferes with the play. One of the field umpires IMMEDIATELY raises both hands and calls the interference. SS still fields the ball and throws to first before the batter gets to the bag. [what would normally be a 6-3 ground out]. The ruling was that R2 was out for interference but both R1 and the batter were safe at second and first base respectively because of the immediate dead ball call.

This made no sense to me. I thought R1 would go back to first and batter was still up.

Someone help me out.
Daddylawman

by HugoTafurst » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:02 am

Daddylawman wrote:I was watching the Florida- Alabama game Sunday and saw this play out. If anyone else saw the game and thinks I have my facts wrong, please feel free to chime in.

R1 on 1st and R2 on second. Less than two outs. Batter hits a ground ball to SS and the runner interferes with the play. One of the field umpires IMMEDIATELY raises both hands and calls the interference. SS still fields the ball and throws to first before the batter gets to the bag. [what would normally be a 6-3 ground out]. The ruling was that R2 was out for interference but both R1 and the batter were safe at second and first base respectively because of the immediate dead ball call.

This made no sense to me. I thought R1 would go back to first and batter was still up.

Someone help me out.

You have the facts pretty much correct as I remember the play.
The ruling was correct for the interference call -
Immediate DEAD BALL at time of interference
R1 (from 2nd) OUT on the interference
BR awarded 1st
R2 (from 1st) returned to last base touched at time of interference which would be 1st - HOWEVER since BR is placed at 1st, R2 gets 2nd.

A few who saw the play disagreed with the INT call... but it was called and watching the replay, U1 was clear that she had INT.
HugoTafurst

by hit4power » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:07 am

It was a really interesting play b/c if INT isn't called, its actually a double play with F6 tagging out R1 and then throwing 6-3 to get the 2nd out (3rd out of the inning) on the BR. Hence, the call changed the situation from inning over to R2 at 2B, R3 at 1B and 2 out. I have to admit that when I saw the play in real time I didn't think it was INT, but I don't know if the NCAA ruleset is different on INT than ASA or Fed. In slo-mo replay, I could see how maybe (thinking ASA) it could have been called INT. What I'd like to know from one of the blues is why is that call U1's call? In a 3 umpire game in that situation, what are the assignments for the BU's?
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Crabby_Bob » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:04 am

Any umpire can call INT. U1 will be near F4, U3 near 3rd base.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by MTR » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:34 am

hit4power wrote:It was a really interesting play b/c if INT isn't called, its actually a double play with F6 tagging out R1 and then throwing 6-3 to get the 2nd out (3rd out of the inning) on the BR. Hence, the call changed the situation from inning over to R2 at 2B, R3 at 1B and 2 out. I have to admit that when I saw the play in real time I didn't think it was INT, but I don't know if the NCAA ruleset is different on INT than ASA or Fed. In slo-mo replay, I could see how maybe (thinking ASA) it could have been called INT. What I'd like to know from one of the blues is why is that call U1's call? In a 3 umpire game in that situation, what are the assignments for the BU's?

At first, I also questioned the INT play. However, on the replay, I could see where the umpire may have believed it was INT from the look on F6's face. It also seemed the tag could have been accidental.

You can always second-guess things like this, but the umpire was right on it, did not hesitate, immediately made the appropriate (for INT) ruling and hustled back into position.
MTR

by hit4power » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:55 am

Understood and agree - my question really was this: In that situation, F6 could throw to 3B for a force on R1, or throw to 2B for a force on R2, or throw straight across to 1B to get the BR. Which umps have responsibility for covering the potential play at which bases? Specifically, I assume U1 (between 1B and 2B) has to call the play at 1B, does she also have responsibility for the call at 2B and so was looking in that direction and saw the INT?
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by winginit » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:58 am

I have a question regarding very similiar situation I saw in HS game several weeks ago. Routine ball hit to SS and R2 tries to avoid (per umpire) but basically manhandles SS who ends up not being able to make a play. Everyone is safe, but easily could have been tag R2 and throw out batter at first for two outs.

If player tries to avoid interference, but still interferes is that an umpire judgement call and can be let go?
winginit

by tcannizzo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:19 pm

Yes, even if the player tries to avoid INT we have INT.
And, you never really know what they were "trying" to do.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by HugoTafurst » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:38 am

hit4power wrote:

Understood and agree - my question really was this: In that situation, F6 could throw to 3B for a force on R1, or throw to 2B for a force on R2, or throw straight across to 1B to get the BR. Which umps have responsibility for covering the potential play at which bases? Specifically, I assume U1 (between 1B and 2B) has to call the play at 1B, does she also have responsibility for the call at 2B and so was looking in that direction and saw the INT?

U1 would cover the force play at 2nd and/or 1st.
U3 the play at 3rd.

U3 would have the tag play on R1 to 3rd base.
HugoTafurst

Return to The Umpire Corner