Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Due.... Dude.... Cmon Dude!

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Iluvblue » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:01 am

Had the home plate blue of a very important varsity HS game yesterday blow a call. Pitcher stopped in her delivery cause the PLAYER put her hand up to request time. Blue did nothing. Then when the player stopped her delivery, blue didnt call illegal pitch. When I called time and went to talk about the play, he called me DUDE no less than 4 times, and the last time was when he was at the plate and I had already gone back to the third base coaches box.

After the first time, I told him to not call me dude. I wonder how many times I would have gotten away with calling him dude before I was in the parking lot.
Iluvblue

by beentheredonethat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:34 am

beentheredonethat

by sftblldud » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:21 pm

Iluvblue wrote:Had the home plate blue of a very important varsity HS game yesterday blow a call. Pitcher stopped in her delivery cause the PLAYER put her hand up to request time. Blue did nothing. Then when the player stopped her delivery, blue didnt call illegal pitch. When I called time and went to talk about the play, he called me DUDE no less than 4 times, and the last time was when he was at the plate and I had already gone back to the third base coaches box.

After the first time, I told him to not call me dude. I wonder how many times I would have gotten away with calling him dude before I was in the parking lot.

Dude, how important could a HS game be. I'm not sure where your from, but out here in Cali, Dude is an acceptable form of the English language. All I here is Dudes calling other Dudes, Dude. You're probably one of those guys that don't like a finger pointed in your chest, but you're probably the first guy to point a finger. Get over yourself, don't be mad, just because the umpire is probably making more money than you(at least for the 1 1/2 to 2 hours you're out there).

So, don't go away mad Dude, just go away!!! :o :o :oops: :oops: :lol:
hey rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my pants
sftblldud

by ontheblack » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:24 pm

For some people, the use of the term "Dude" IS being respectful.
ontheblack

by sftblldud » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:25 pm

ontheblack wrote:For some people, the use of the term "Dude" IS being respectful.

Very Respectful, DUDE!!! :D
sftblldud

by sftblldud » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:28 pm

sftblldud wrote:
ontheblack wrote:For some people, the use of the term "Dude" IS being respectful.

Very Respectful, DUDE!!! :D

I believe "DUDE" is a prison term meaning "I'll get with you later tonight" :lol: :o :o :o :lol:
sftblldud

by ajaywill » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:56 pm

Iluvblue wrote:Had the home plate blue of a very important varsity HS game yesterday blow a call. Pitcher stopped in her delivery cause the PLAYER put her hand up to request time. Blue did nothing. Then when the player stopped her delivery, blue didnt call illegal pitch. When I called time and went to talk about the play, he called me DUDE no less than 4 times, and the last time was when he was at the plate and I had already gone back to the third base coaches box.

Setting aside the DUDE references for the moment....

What exactly were you looking for? If the sequence happened as you describe it, the proper ruling should be a no pitch. If your batter put her hand up to request time, and this caused the pitcher to stop her delivery, you don't get an illegal pitch.

By rule, an offensive player or other team personnel cannot yell "TIME" or any other actions that may cause the pitcher not to pitch.

Oh...and calling you DUDE is not appropriate on any ballfield.....
ajaywill

by softballdadcoach » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:35 pm

I, too, thought this would be called an illegal pitch because the pitcher in the OP is responsible for completing her delivery once it was started...
softballdadcoach

by UmpSteve » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Spazsdad wrote:It is an IP. The act of the batter requesting time by holding up her hand should have no bearing on the pitcher completing her delivery.
Time must be granted by the umpire. Teach your pitchers to throw their pitch once started and teach your batters that until the ump grants time you better be ready to hit the ball.

NFHS 6-2-4-e "No pitch shall be declared when .... a player, manager or coach calls "Time" oe employs any other word or phrase or commits any act, while the ball is live and in play, for the obvious purpose of trying to make the pitcher commit an illegal pitch. PENALTY: If the batter tries to cause the pitcher to commit an illegal pitch after the pitcher has started her delivery, the ball remains live if the pitcher legally delivers the pitch."
NFHS 7-3-1 EFFECT 2 "If the pitcher stops or hesitates in her delivery as result of the batter stepping out of the box or holding up her hand to request time, it shall not be an illegal pitch. If a pitch is not delivered, a rule has been violated by both the batter and the pitcher."
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ontheblack » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:54 pm

So what is the penalty for both violating the rule, or is nothing called because they offset?
ontheblack

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner