Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Due.... Dude.... Cmon Dude!

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by coachEd » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:06 pm

The OP is obviously not a question about whether the umpire got the call it right or not, but about a modicum of respect the coach wants from the umpire. The umpire is there to perform a job and so, to at least some account, should exhibit some professionalism toward the coaches, and vice versa. The umpire calling the coach dude is not being professional, IMO. Can you imagine an attorney going into court and when addressed by the judge saying, "Dude, ....." instead of "Your honor, ...."

Kind of reminds me of an SNL skit years ago with Eddie Murphy as Buckwheat, in court being sued by a prostitute who bought his book "So You Want To Be A Ho" and it didnt work for her. Buckwheat stands up and to address the judge and says: "My Honor, I have one thing to say, the bitch ugly". :lol:
coachEd

by UmpSteve » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:07 pm

No pitch, reset both, restart. If umpire believes the act by batter was intended to cause an illegal pitch, first time team warning to coach, 2nd offense batter is restricted to the dugout (ejected but stays there) for unsporting act. If coach does it, umpire judgment to warn, restrict, or eject completely. NFHS 3-6-9

Edit to add: Reply to ontheblack question.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:12 pm

Iluvblue wrote:Had the home plate blue of a very important varsity HS game yesterday blow a call. Pitcher stopped in her delivery cause the PLAYER put her hand up to request time. Blue did nothing. Then when the player stopped her delivery, blue didnt call illegal pitch. When I called time and went to talk about the play, he called me DUDE no less than 4 times, and the last time was when he was at the plate and I had already gone back to the third base coaches box.

After the first time, I told him to not call me dude. I wonder how many times I would have gotten away with calling him dude before I was in the parking lot.

Anyway, I do agree that umpire should call a high school coach "Dude". Inappropriate.

On the other hand, he didn't blow the call, he applied the correct rule.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Iluvblue » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:15 pm

so if the umpire believes this was nothing more than a request of time by the batter and none is given by the blue, then pitchers starts her pitching motion and stops, what is the call?

Just for shits and giggles, the umpire told me time was called by my batter, which that in and of itself is ridiculous. Bottom line is 2 things happened here:
1) NO CALL was made, nothing by the blue. Then when I asked him how this was not an illegal pitch, he told me time was called. This was not the case as he made no movement, no verbal sound, NOTHING until after I said that this was an illegal pitch call. He basically lied to me when he said he called time..... BS.

2) mistake was calling me dude as soon as I called time and approached home to talk to him, I then asked him very clearly to NOT call me dude again, to which he replied with a "What is your name," then proceeded to call me dude several times more.

3) last mistake was when I left the discussion and went back to the third base box and HE CONTINUED chirping at me and calling me dude again for all to hear.
And this guy is a WAC and PAC-10 umpire. I doubt very seriously he would call a pac10 coach Dude and get away with it.
Iluvblue

by Iluvblue » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:16 pm

BS, he applied NO RULE, he told me time was given which was BS. I would have had no problem if he tried to explain away his no call due to what was mentioned above, but that is just BS after the fact trying to say he was correct.
Iluvblue

by BenAround » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:27 pm

dude, you know how those stink'en blues are.
I think, that I shall try to do the utmost to be new today
BenAround

by sftblldud » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:31 pm

To Iluvpink

Did you win the game dude?
hey rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my pants
sftblldud

by sftblldud » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:35 pm

The Ump, Bob Koolen, and Mike White are all DUDES!!!
hey rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my pants
sftblldud

by Iluvblue » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:03 pm

we won 6-1...... that was not an issue, but I know it is the easy out for most people..... you lost the game, therefor you are not happy with the umpire.
Not the case at all. By the way, other than that one thing, game was well umpired by both umps.
Iluvblue

by bucketdaddy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:50 pm

Spazsdad wrote:It is an IP. The act of the batter requesting time by holding up her hand should have no bearing on the pitcher completing her delivery.
Time must be granted by the umpire. Teach your pitchers to throw their pitch once started and teach your batters that until the ump grants time you better be ready to hit the ball.

Hey Spazdad
I agree with your remark about teaching your pitchers to throw once started and I even agree on teaching your batters to be ready but.........A batter may ask for time from a umpire, but that doesn't mean "Time must be granted by the umpire."

Your team really looks good out there Iluvblue :P Even though I am a Enochs fan :D :D :D
bucketdaddy

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner