Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Due.... Dude.... Cmon Dude!

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by tcannizzo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:21 pm

Hey Dude, You're Out and your are Ugly Too!
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by anonlooker » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:47 pm

Aw, poor baby! Umpire called me dude. Waaah! Sniffle sniffle. My violin weeps.

Maybe next game when you ride you high horse to the pregame meeting you should issue a proclamation on how you expect to addressed. But try to keep in mind that as far as the vast majority of our society is concerned, being a HS softball coach doesn't amount to much. And I doubt most college umpires will tolerate your whining either. This one clearly wouldn't.

Sympathy denied.
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by PDad » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:08 pm

UmpSteve wrote:NFHS 7-3-1 EFFECT 2 "If the pitcher stops or hesitates in her delivery as result of the batter stepping out of the box or holding up her hand to request time, it shall not be an illegal pitch. If a pitch is not delivered, a rule has been violated by both the batter and the pitcher."

Is there an ASA equivalent to this?
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by softballdadcoach » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:42 am

NFHS 6-2-4-e "No pitch shall be declared when .... a player, manager or coach calls "Time" oe employs any other word or phrase or commits any act, while the ball is live and in play, for the obvious purpose of trying to make the pitcher commit an illegal pitch. PENALTY: If the batter tries to cause the pitcher to commit an illegal pitch after the pitcher has started her delivery, the ball remains live if the pitcher legally delivers the pitch."
NFHS 7-3-1 EFFECT 2 "If the pitcher stops or hesitates in her delivery as result of the batter stepping out of the box or holding up her hand to request time, it shall not be an illegal pitch. If a pitch is not delivered, a rule has been violated by both the batter and the pitcher."

I understand what is written above, but have a question. NFHS 6-2-4-e reads like it is only concerned with an offensive player, manager or coach committing an act "for the obvious purpose of trying to make the pitcher commit an illegal pitch." Does NFHS 7-3-1 EFFECT 2 depend on that intent in order to apply? Say the batter just wanted time and there is no "obvious purpose"?

I have seen a similar situation where the pitcher delivers the pitch and the umpire called a strike on the batter who was holding up her hand--so the act of completing the delivery of the pitch absolves the pitcher of any rule violation, but not delivering the pitch (a rule violation) is trumped by the batter's actions?
softballdadcoach

by HugoTafurst » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:54 am

softballdadcoach wrote:
(snip) Does NFHS 7-3-1 EFFECT 2 depend on that intent in order to apply? Say the batter just wanted time and there is no "obvious purpose"?

No - 7-3-1 Effect does not need intent on the batter's part.

That can be deduced by the last sentence of EFFECT 2:

If the umpire judges the
batter's action to be a deliberate attempt to create an illegal pitch, (then)the
umpire will penalize according to 3-6-9.

softballdadcoach wrote:I have seen a similar situation where the pitcher delivers the pitch and the umpire called a strike on the batter who was holding up her hand--so the act of completing the delivery of the pitch absolves the pitcher of any rule violation, but not delivering the pitch (a rule violation) is trumped by the batter's actions?

Yes - I think (and the rule is written) it is reasonablle to rule as the batter's action was responsable for the pitcher to stop her motion.
HugoTafurst

by Iluvblue » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:16 pm

HUgo,

I would be ok with your explanation, but that is not what he said. He said he gave time, which he didnt. The above explanation of events is pretty accurate if what happened, and the blues actions were uncalled for.
Iluvblue

by RecReject » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Relax, it could have been worse...he could have called you "little dude"...
RecReject

by why not? » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:48 am

[quote="sniper-1 shot 1 kill"]. Before Iluvblu could get 10' down the line, blu said Iluvblu's real name and followed it by "don't even start with me". It went on longer than it should have.

Sounds like there is history.....But of course, a coach would NEVER do anything out of line! :? :?
why not?

by sftblldud » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:14 am

Sounds like Iluvpink is that Employee, you know, the guy you work with that is a pain in the A$$. Iluvpink is "That Guy". Probably works at Walmart or Smart & Final, maybe he is bottler at the local Winery. :o :lol: :o

You know he really can't have a good job because he probably questions his Manager(boss) in the same manner that he questions Umpires. And his Manager probably says the same thing the Umpires are saying. It goes something like this from Manager "Iluvpink I don't need to here it from you right now, why don't you go clean the Bathroom before your shift ends" :o :lol: :o

Iluvpink probably uses his HS field for TB practice, which is a violation of CIF rules if you have players on your HS team on your TB team.
hey rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my pants
sftblldud

by HugoTafurst » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:40 am

Iluvblue wrote:HUgo,

I would be ok with your explanation, but that is not what he said. He said he gave time, which he didnt. The above explanation of events is pretty accurate if what happened, and the blues actions were uncalled for.

The Dude remark was uncalled for.
My advice for that would be to scratch him from your games and take it up with his assignor.

As for the ruling, now you know that the ruling was correct.
Maybe he did call time (but not in a demonstartive way), maybe he didn't, but now you know that the result was correct, so why worry about it.

Slightly related....
haven't you seen a player get obviously hit by a pitch and the umpire does not call Dead Ball (wrong, but I've seen it). If you had a runner stealing, would you be arguing to leave her at 2nd?

How about when an umpire cleans the plate but doesn't indicate Dead Ball?

Shirley, you get it... I know... ;)
HugoTafurst

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner