Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Baserunner falls down!

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Cannonball » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:57 pm

This happened this weekend. Runner on 1st and 3rd. Hitter has the take sign because she swings at the first pitch every time and teams know this. Therefore, they throw a ball. Runner on first knows take is on and so gets normal "break" off first. However, hitter hits the ball to SS moving toward the bag. Runner on first was anticipating the take and so is caught off guard. She breaks late and slips to the ground turning her ankle. In the meantime, the SS gets the ball and runs to 2nd base bag. Runner on first gets up and tries to run to second but can't. SS attempts to throw the ball to first but holds onto it when the runner in the baseline about half way. Now, coaches and SS yell at the Ump that they want interferance or obstruction. They want to also have the run denied. Your call on this poorly described play. Again, real event.
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by wadeintothem » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:58 am

I got nothing on this play. I would not consider this interference by a retired runner. I would also expect to get a convo from a coach on a play like this. So we would talk, but he gets nothing. He is not getting any freebies off of me on this play.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MTR » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:08 am

Cannonball wrote:This happened this weekend. Runner on 1st and 3rd. Hitter has the take sign because she swings at the first pitch every time and teams know this. Therefore, they throw a ball. Runner on first knows take is on and so gets normal "break" off first. However, hitter hits the ball to SS moving toward the bag. Runner on first was anticipating the take and so is caught off guard. She breaks late and slips to the ground turning her ankle. In the meantime, the SS gets the ball and runs to 2nd base bag. Runner on first gets up and tries to run to second but can't. SS attempts to throw the ball to first but holds onto it when the runner in the baseline about half way. Now, coaches and SS yell at the Ump that they want interferance or obstruction. They want to also have the run denied. Your call on this poorly described play. Again, real event.

Speaking ASA

Not sure of the timing here. If R2 arose to her feet and attempted to advance prior to F6 preparing to throw the ball, it is nothing. If R2 got to her feet just as F6 was about to throw to 1B, it is quite possible an INT call. HTBT.
MTR

by NEOUA Blue » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:53 pm

Don't know Wade....Runner interfered with the throw I may have the double play on INT. However, I would probably of had to see this one to decide for sure. Now if the SS had thrown the ball to 1B and hit the retired runner, then for sure INT.
NEOUA Blue

by anonlooker » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:10 pm

What if SS tags 2B and throws the ball to 1B, ball hits R1 who just stood up after falling, but Batter-Runner has already made it to first (or the throw has no chance of getting to first before BR?
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by Killer Rabbit » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:57 pm

Baseball coach always said to throw the ball to first whether the runner is in the way or not(on a double play). "They'll move out of the way, one way or another." IMHO I believe that the runner has to get hit with the ball to call for INT to be called.

If there was one out, then I don't believe that the runner from third scores because the batter never reaches first safely before becoming the third out.
Ice cream?! When the f**k did we get ice cream?!
Killer Rabbit
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Killer Rabbit » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:00 pm

Sorry, reading deficiency.

If the runner has already crossed first base, then I don't think that INT would be called by the umpire (unless the runner was obvious about trying to get hit?)

Let's wait for Wade's answer.
Ice cream?! When the f**k did we get ice cream?!
Killer Rabbit
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:40 am

Killer Rabbit wrote:Baseball coach always said to throw the ball to first whether the runner is in the way or not(on a double play). "They'll move out of the way, one way or another." IMHO I believe that the runner has to get hit with the ball to call for INT to be called.

This ain't baseball :)

The runner has a right to be where they are. If they are hit with the ball, it is not INT unless they committed an act which caused the ball to hit them. Simply running toward the base is NOT INT regardless of whether the runner has been retired or not. For that matter, a runner who does make an attempt to "get out of the way" and inadvertantly steps into the play WOULD be cause for an INT call should it have created such a situation.

Should the umpire believe the fielder intentionally hit the runner with the ball, there better be a substitute on the bench. If the coach directed the fielder to throw the ball at the runner, there better be an assistant ready to take the reins.
MTR

by NEOUA Blue » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:23 pm

ASA 8-7-P..when a runner has been declared out or scored an offensive player interferes with a defensive players opportunity to make a play on another runner. EFFECT ball is dead and runner closest to home plate at the time of the INT is out.

Rules Supplement 33...Defensive players must be given the opportunity to field the ball anywhere on the playing field or throw the ball without being hindered.

That being said...once that runner is out they can't interfere with the throw. They must get out of the way. If they are not out and hit with a thrown ball then play on. But in this situation the runner is out and interfered, I have a double play.

Intent of the retired runner doesn't matter.

Now, if the fielder intentionally hits the runner I am not tossing her as long as the runner is in the way or somewhere they shouldn't be. I have had this happen several times on the batter-runner being out of the running lane going to first, catcher will bean the BR in the back. Runners need to be out of the way and in thier proper spot.
NEOUA Blue

by NoNothin » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:59 pm

MTR wrote:

The runner has a right to be where they are. If they are hit with the ball, it is not INT unless they committed an act which caused the ball to hit them. Simply running toward the base is NOT INT regardless of whether the runner has been retired or not.

If R2 got to her feet just as F6 was about to throw to 1B, it is quite possible an INT call. HTBT..

Talking out of both sides of your mouth again???

NoNo
Respect All Fear None!!!!
NoNothin

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner