Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Bunted ball, Runner gets hit in back with ball....called Out

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by tcannizzo » Mon May 02, 2011 3:17 pm

why not? wrote:Is the same rule in effect on a ball thrown from 1st to home?

No. In that case it just like between any two bases.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by afastpitchfanatic » Fri May 06, 2011 11:11 am

I admittedly don't know the game very well. I didn't play softball. No matter how many games I've watched, I continue to learn more and more about rules. I posted to figure out the rule. I read HB everyday and am thankful to have a place to try to understand the game more, learn more, and ask questions when I don't know what the hell is going on. :lol:

I don't know the correct lingo for everything pertaining to the game. Obviously.
When I said baseline, I meant the line connecting the home plate to 1st and/or home plate to 3rd base, which now I correctly refer to as the foul line. (What is the line called connecting 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd?)

Again, I didn't know that the 3 foot lane was to the foul side only. I mistakenly assumed it was 1/2 to the fair side, and 1/2 to the foul side. (18 inches to each side)

Instead of acting like I know the game, I admit that I don't. Thanks to HB and the few hundred games I've watched, I might just gradjumatate ;) from elementary in the school of softball.

*Might* being the key word. :lol:

In my original post, I gave the scenario that happened in the game. I failed to mention that the 2nd baseman wasn't even at 1st to cover, yet. (bunt) I can accept the umpire having the opinion that our runner was slightly to the fair side of the foul line (even though I disagree), and consequently calling interference. But doesn't it matter that noone was there to receive the ball? Or no?? (Our runner was through the orange bag when the 2nd baseman got to 1st.)
afastpitchfanatic

by tcannizzo » Fri May 06, 2011 12:01 pm

afastpitchfanatic wrote:I don't know the correct lingo for everything pertaining to the game. Obviously.
When I said baseline, I meant the line connecting the home plate to 1st and/or home plate to 3rd base, which now I correctly refer to as the foul line. (What is the line called connecting 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd?)

Two important distinctions in terminology here:
a.) Base Line is a direct line from one base to the next.
b.) Base Path is a direct line from a baserunner to the base she is running towards. This is important to understand about Obstruction, or when a baserunner goes three feet outside of the Base Path when trying to avoid being tagged out. It is entirely dependent on the runners location at the time Base Path needs to be determined. She could have made a seriously wide turn at 1B taking 10 feet outside of the Base Line, but her position from there in a straight line on to 2B or back to 1B is the key.

afastpitchfanatic wrote:In my original post, I gave the scenario that happened in the game. I failed to mention that the 2nd baseman wasn't even at 1st to cover, yet. (bunt) I can accept the umpire having the opinion that our runner was slightly to the fair side of the foul line (even though I disagree), and consequently calling interference. But doesn't it matter that noone was there to receive the ball? Or no?? (Our runner was through the orange bag when the 2nd baseman got to 1st.)

Actually, you are very correct here. The batter-runner shall be called OUT for Interfering with a defenders opportunity to make a catch. If there was no player to receive the throw, it is likely that this was a blown call. The question to ask, is whether the defender could have caught the ball had there not been INT. Hard to judge from here and as we say HTBT (had to be there).

And a tip of the hat to you for seeking out the truth.
You don't have to apologize for not knowing the rules.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
tcannizzo

by afastpitchfanatic » Fri May 06, 2011 2:48 pm

Thank you, tcannizzo. Not only for answering my questions, but for your kindness. :D
afastpitchfanatic

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat May 07, 2011 3:42 am

That ought to be enough of that 'kindness' crap to last a year ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Turn&burn » Sat May 21, 2011 3:22 pm

Let’s mix it up a bit, but same kind of question. Runner at second with a hit ground ball to outfield. Runner rounds third and heads home. Half way between third and home the runner realizes she’ll be put out and therefore reverses her direction back to third. Catcher receives the throw and attempts to throw runner out returning to third, but hits her in the back with ball. Runner is in the base path. Is she out or safe?
Turn&burn

by Crabby_Bob » Sat May 21, 2011 5:00 pm

Neither.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by TM67 » Sat May 21, 2011 7:38 pm

Turn&burn wrote:Let’s mix it up a bit, but same kind of question. Runner at second with a hit ground ball to outfield. Runner rounds third and heads home. Half way between third and home the runner realizes she’ll be put out and therefore reverses her direction back to third. Catcher receives the throw and attempts to throw runner out returning to third, but hits her in the back with ball. Runner is in the base path. Is she out or safe?

The runner would only be called out if tagged. A ball hitting a player, that has been thrown ( not hit ) will be a live ball. She can then advance/retreat at her own risk. Unless the batter/runner is out of the running lane from home to first. As explained above a ball hitting a b/r out of this lane can/should be called out.

Hope this helps?
TM67

by tcannizzo » Sun May 22, 2011 7:49 am

Any throws involving a base runner interfering have to do with intentionally interfering with the play.
3 ft running lane is only between HP and 1B and only for the last 30 feet. BR is at risk for INT even if not intentional if outside of the 3 ft running lane.
This is true even if there is no safety base.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
tcannizzo

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner