Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Umpire in the way..

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by calply » Sat May 07, 2011 4:00 pm

Ok ,, Second basemen has the field umpire in her left back pocket ... Ball is hit to her left and the player and Umpire make contact ,,, I understand the Umpire is part of the field and it is what it is ,, next batter the Ump is again in her back pocket .... Players coaches tell the player to ask the Umpire to please step back ... The Ump says (no you can move) ... What ever,, the guy wanted to be part of the game i guess ... Here is my question ,, as a player / coach ,, what do you do next ...

Is thier a rule..
calply

by MTR » Sat May 07, 2011 4:53 pm

calply wrote:Ok ,, Second basemen has the field umpire in her left back pocket ... Ball is hit to her left and the player and Umpire make contact ,,, I understand the Umpire is part of the field and it is what it is ,, next batter the Ump is again in her back pocket .... Players coaches tell the player to ask the Umpire to please step back ... The Ump says (no you can move) ... What ever,, the guy wanted to be part of the game i guess ... Here is my question ,, as a player / coach ,, what do you do next ...

Is thier a rule..

A rule? For what? Where somebody stands? No.

I don't know what you mean by "back pocket". An actual distance would be nice.

I stay back about 10' until the pitcher starts. Then I step up to a set position about 4-5' off F3's shoulder. The moment she moves one way or the other, it is a simple pivot and she is by me. If the umpire is not that mobile. S/HE should move, not tell the infielder to move.
MTR

by Bretman » Sun May 08, 2011 5:34 pm

No rule, but there are prescribed umpire mechanics and guidelines that should be followed. Umpires should not be setting up in positions where they will potentially impede the players. And it is up to the umpire to adjust his position to accomodate the players, not the other way around.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by calply » Sun May 08, 2011 7:11 pm

Thanks Bretman ... So the player has the right to ask (respectfully) please give me a few more feet/steps .... Unforturnatly in this event the Umpire after being ran into by a 11 year old would not award a 5' gap between the player and himself...

Thanks again for your input..
calply

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon May 09, 2011 6:16 am

calply wrote:Thanks Bretman ... So the player has the right to ask (respectfully) please give me a few more feet/steps .... Unforturnatly in this event the Umpire after being ran into by a 11 year old would not award a 5' gap between the player and himself...

In addition, I tell my outfielders to do as I did back in the day ... If a Field Blue is set up in your line of sight ... you can ask them to step one way or another ... I have never seen one refuse a request ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Mon May 09, 2011 8:32 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:In addition, I tell my outfielders to do as I did back in the day ... If a Field Blue is set up in your line of sight ... you can ask them to step one way or another ... I have never seen one refuse a request ...

I'll often peek over my shoulder and if close ask the OF if she can see the batter. There is no reason for an umpire to take a position that blocks a fielder view.
MTR

by Crabby_Bob » Tue May 10, 2011 8:45 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
calply wrote:Thanks Bretman ... So the player has the right to ask (respectfully) please give me a few more feet/steps .... Unforturnatly in this event the Umpire after being ran into by a 11 year old would not award a 5' gap between the player and himself...

In addition, I tell my outfielders to do as I did back in the day ... If a Field Blue is set up in your line of sight ... you can ask them to step one way or another ... I have never seen one refuse a request ...

So, you ask him to go left and he goes right. "The other left please!"
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by UmpSteve » Tue May 10, 2011 10:21 am

Devil's advocate, for a moment.

Players and coaches also need to realize that there are times that their "creative" positioning makes it almost impossible to do our job. I am talking mostly about F4's, less often F6's, that get so deep that we absolutely cannot stay any distance behind them and still properly cover pick off and steal plays. And if we try to work anywhere else, then some outfielder wants to move us again.

I don't want to be a butt, or, in the OP's words, part of the game. But you have to understand that there are times when YOUR decisions (or lack of) make it necessary for us to go where you think it is an issue. I have a job to do, and I am accountable to more than just you about how I do it. If your F4 wants to play short right field with a runner on first; guess what, I will probably have to set up in her peripheral vision to do my job. If she doesn't like it, then SHE can play second base, not short right field. If you want her that deep, then you better get over me being where I have to be to call pick off and steal plays.

And we all know the toughest call for a base umpire in two man is a close play at first from behind the shortstop with runner on 2nd and/or 3rd. But your F6 wants to play so deep that any ball hit to her is a close play. I do not choose to put myself 10 feet behind her, where I cannot be effective because she makes that decision. I won't be behind her; I will be in the hole, and in her peripheral vision.

The NCAA is more open in telling umpires we DO NOT have to move if the players are playing nontraditional positions that make it difficult to do our job. Accommodate whenever reasonable to do so, but remember we have a job to do
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to The Umpire Corner