Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Out or Dead Ball?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by isnt she fancy » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:16 pm

Runner on 3rd
Batter pops up and runner on 3rd hustles back to stand directly on top of 3rd and ball comes down smack on her helmet. Runner does not move.
Call?
isnt she fancy

by MTR » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:23 pm

isnt she fancy wrote:Runner on 3rd
Batter pops up and runner on 3rd hustles back to stand directly on top of 3rd and ball comes down smack on her helmet. Runner does not move.
Call?

Runner does not have to move. The runner is not out unless the umpire judges she intentionally interfered with the defense's ability to catch the ball. Also, the status of the ball depends on the location of the nearest defender when R1 is hit by the ball.

IOW, you haven't provided enough information for a call.
MTR

by wadeintothem » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:17 am

Sounds to me like Live Ball play on.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MTR » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:42 am

wadeintothem wrote:Sounds to me like Live Ball play on.

Not if F5 moved beyond 3 base and was standing behind the runner when the ball made contact with the helmet. Then it would be a dead ball, BR awarded 1B and only runners forced(none in this scenario) would advance.
MTR

by isnt she fancy » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:48 pm

Here is a little more information. If you need more than this, please specify so that I can provide necessary info...
Actually F5 I believe caught the ball off the helmet of the runner standing on third without it touching the ground. Ball headed inward towards infield and not foul. So is this an out?

This was ruled a dead ball by the way. The fielding team was livid and our coach sat quietly in the corner not getting involved. This was a showcase, so I don't know if different rules apply for different org. I am assuming ASA.
Thank you for all your input.

Now another little item. Batted ball fall in shallow right field. Right fielder running in kicks ball out of bounds. Where should runner end up? Runner reached first base before ball was kicked out of bounds. Quiet coach actually got kicked out of the game on this one...
Sounds like a fiasco game and it was. :shock:
isnt she fancy

by wadeintothem » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:17 pm

MTR wrote:Not if F5 moved beyond 3 base and was standing behind the runner when the ball made contact with the helmet. Then it would be a dead ball, BR awarded 1B and only runners forced(none in this scenario) would advance.

Yeps...

isnt she fancy wrote:Here is a little more information. If you need more than this, please specify so that I can provide necessary info...
Actually F5 I believe caught the ball off the helmet of the runner standing on third without it touching the ground. Ball headed inward towards infield and not foul. So is this an out?

This is not a catch. It is not an out. The only thing you can have is .. live ball or the mumbo jumbo dead ball play.. but definately no catch. As I already stated .. this sounds live ball to me.

This was ruled a dead ball by the way. The fielding team was livid and our coach sat quietly in the corner not getting involved. This was a showcase, so I don't know if different rules apply for different org. I am assuming ASA.
Thank you for all your input.

Someones always gonna be livid on 3rd world plays.

Now another little item. Batted ball fall in shallow right field. Right fielder running in kicks ball out of bounds. Where should runner end up? Runner reached first base before ball was kicked out of bounds. Quiet coach actually got kicked out of the game on this one...

3B
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by NM FP Ump » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:35 am

isnt she fancy wrote:Now another little item. Batted ball fall in shallow right field. Right fielder running in kicks ball out of bounds. Where should runner end up? Runner reached first base before ball was kicked out of bounds. Quiet coach actually got kicked out of the game on this one...

Out of bounds? Do you mean from fair territory to foul territory, or from fair territory to dead ball territory? Kick it to foul territory, play on; kick it to dead ball territory, three base award.
NM FP Ump

by MTR » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:27 am

NM FP Ump wrote:
isnt she fancy wrote:Now another little item. Batted ball fall in shallow right field. Right fielder running in kicks ball out of bounds. Where should runner end up? Runner reached first base before ball was kicked out of bounds. Quiet coach actually got kicked out of the game on this one...

Out of bounds? Do you mean from fair territory to foul territory, or from fair territory to dead ball territory? Kick it to foul territory, play on; kick it to dead ball territory, three base award.

Speaking ASA

2-base award from TOP unless intentional
MTR

by isnt she fancy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:26 am

Out into the street adjacent to the field and rolling under cars. Dead? Well, nobody hit it or ran over it ;)
isnt she fancy

by NM FP Ump » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:53 am

That's funny. I guess they did kick it out of bounds.

Speaking USSSA, this scenario isn't exactly defined ("kicking" a fair-batted ball into dead ball territory), but I have to modify my above answer. Not a 3 base award, but two bases from the point of the intraction (intentionally carries or throws ball into dead-ball territory).

Thanks for the clarification, MTR.
NM FP Ump

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner