Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Out or Dead Ball?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by wadeintothem » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:14 pm

MTR wrote:
NM FP Ump wrote:
isnt she fancy wrote:Now another little item. Batted ball fall in shallow right field. Right fielder running in kicks ball out of bounds. Where should runner end up? Runner reached first base before ball was kicked out of bounds. Quiet coach actually got kicked out of the game on this one...
Sounds like a fiasco game and it was. :shock:

Out of bounds? Do you mean from fair territory to foul territory, or from fair territory to dead ball territory? Kick it to foul territory, play on; kick it to dead ball territory, three base award.

Speaking ASA

2-base award from TOP unless intentional

The only way you could come up with TOP is by considering this a deflected ball.

Kicking a ball is not a deflected ball IMO.

People should "accidentally" kick out any ball that could result in more than two bases...
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MTR » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:33 pm

isnt she fancy wrote:Now another little item. Batted ball fall in shallow right field. Right fielder running in kicks ball out of bounds. Where should runner end up? Runner reached first base before ball was kicked out of bounds. Quiet coach actually got kicked out of the game on this one...

Speaking ASA

The only way you could come up with TOP is by considering this a deflected ball.

People should "accidentally" kick out any ball that could result in more than two bases...

You can have your opinion, I'll stick with the rules, especially 8.5.I
MTR

by wadeintothem » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:54 pm

MTR wrote:

Speaking ASA

You can have your opinion, I'll stick with the rules, especially 8.5.I

8.5.I is the rule I was referring too obviously.

Your opinion is that obviously this kicked ball is a deflected ball.

That may be your opinion, but that is not supported by rule.. that is interpretation of what constitutes a deflected ball.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MTR » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:08 pm

After receiving more info from the OP, I'm going to change my position on this, though slightly.

It seems there may be a question of the impetus of the ball. The ball was moving toward the fielder. I will concede that this could be viewed in multiple manners based upon the umpire's judgment as to the cause of the ball leaving the field of play.

If the ball was proceeding toward the fielder, happen to hit her leg and go out of play, I'll stick with a deflected ball. However, if the ball was obviously slowing or coming to a stop and the charging fielder kicked the ball hard enough to provide the impetus to leave the field of play, then in should be two from the time of the event.

Nonetheless, either way, it is a HTBT situation.
MTR

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner