Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Bunted Ball

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by SnocatzDad » Wed May 18, 2011 12:19 pm

ajaywill wrote:Here is the OP:

Batter bunts ball and while still in the box kicks the Ball as she starts to run towards first. Ball is in fair territory in the batters box when kicked.

The word "kicks" implies an act by the batter/runner. If the batter has put a bunt down, then kicks the ball, I've got interference, no matter where the batter/runner is on the field.

The wording of the rulings posted by Comp say that the ball touched or contacted the batter. I envision kicking as the batter touching the ball...could be interference, could be a dead ball/foul ball. As I said, I would have to see the play.

I will not say that the OP is definitively a dead ball.

If the batter went all Pele on the ball and reared back and kicked it intentionally away from the catcher then yes it's interference. If in the normal course of starting to run towards first base her moving feet came into contact with the ball (which could be described as a kick) while in the batters box it's a foul ball.
SnocatzDad

by PDad » Wed May 18, 2011 12:23 pm

ajaywill wrote:I will not say that the OP is definitively a dead ball.

How could it be live? It's a dead ball whether it is ruled foul or interference.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ajaywill » Wed May 18, 2011 2:47 pm

SnocatzDad wrote:
ajaywill wrote:Here is the OP:

Batter bunts ball and while still in the box kicks the Ball as she starts to run towards first. Ball is in fair territory in the batters box when kicked.

The word "kicks" implies an act by the batter/runner. If the batter has put a bunt down, then kicks the ball, I've got interference, no matter where the batter/runner is on the field.

The wording of the rulings posted by Comp say that the ball touched or contacted the batter. I envision kicking as the batter touching the ball...could be interference, could be a dead ball/foul ball. As I said, I would have to see the play.

I will not say that the OP is definitively a dead ball.

If the batter went all Pele on the ball and reared back and kicked it intentionally away from the catcher then yes it's interference. If in the normal course of starting to run towards first base her moving feet came into contact with the ball (which could be described as a kick) while in the batters box it's a foul ball.

As I said....I'd have to see the play! :D

PDad - you are correct, it's going to be a dead ball either way.

What I meant to say is that I will not immediately rule a foul ball based on the original post.
ajaywill

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner