Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Odd DP/Flex situation

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by slapperdad » Sat May 21, 2011 7:11 pm

ajaywill wrote:
slapperdad wrote:Thanks, PDad.

There was a method to my madness, I just don't feel like typing everything out.

Kinda hard for us to help you if we don't have all of the information....jus sayin'

The question was, does the designated pitcher on the lineup card have to face a batter before she is replaced by the DP. Pretty simple and straight forward.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by ASAPAump » Sat May 21, 2011 8:18 pm

NFHS Rule 8-9-2. In the top of the first inning only, the pitcher and catcher are identified as those players listed on the lineup as the pitcher and catcher; both must face at least the first batter on defense (one pitch). Thereafter, the pitcher and catcher are identified as the last players who physically played that position on defense. The pitcher or catcher must bat and reach base legally (or earn their way on base) in order to be eligible for a courtesy runner.

Since this falls under the Courtesy Runner rule, it has been debated whether this applies if you have not used a courtesy runner at the top of the inning. Clearly, if you have used a courtesy runner in the top of the first for the player who is designated the pitcher on the starting line-up, she must act as a pitcher in the bottom of the first inning. If you have not used a courtesy runner, IMO, this rule does not apply. Others say it does. That's why you're getting the 50/50 split.

Has anyone seen a definitive ruling from NFHS on this matter?
ASAPAump

by MTR » Sun May 22, 2011 11:37 am

slapperdad wrote:
ajaywill wrote:

Kinda hard for us to help you if we don't have all of the information....jus sayin'

The question was, does the designated pitcher on the lineup card have to face a batter before she is replaced by the DP. Pretty simple and straight forward.

In NFHS, the players listed as the pitcher and catcher for the visitors must face the first batter (at least, one pitch) in the bottom of the 1st inning. (NFHS 8-9.2)
MTR

by HugoTafurst » Sun May 22, 2011 12:44 pm

MTR wrote:
slapperdad wrote:
ajaywill wrote:

In NFHS, the players listed as the pitcher and catcher for the visitors must face the first batter (at least, one pitch) in the bottom of the 1st inning. (NFHS 8-9.2)

As noted by the gentleman from PA and myself, many believe that a visiting team F1 or F2 (by implication) must face the first batter only if a CR was used.
I have checked pretty far up my State chain (although not to the top) and that is what I have.

I may be a .little prejudiced, because it makes sense to me.
Why shoul the Home team be allowed to take out F1 before the first batter and not the Visitors?
HugoTafurst

by MTR » Sun May 22, 2011 3:16 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:As noted by the gentleman from PA and myself, many believe that a visiting team F1 or F2 (by implication) must face the first batter only if a CR was used.
I have checked pretty far up my State chain (although not to the top) and that is what I have.

I understand that and it would be nice if it was noted as such.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon May 23, 2011 4:11 am

slapperdad wrote:
ajaywill wrote:

No, she does not ... But not so simple and straight forward when you start your post by saying that you have 2 batters that you want to bat the entire game , so you are using the DP/Flex option which does NOT allow you to do that ... :roll:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner