Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Illegal bats?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by batterup777 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:58 am

Can the girls use mens slowpitch bats in games?
batterup777

by MTR » Sun May 22, 2011 11:27 am

A bat is a bat, an approved bat is approved to be used for play.

Any other designation is that of a manufacturer and has no bearing in its use in any game.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun May 22, 2011 2:44 pm

MTR wrote:A bat is a bat, an approved bat is approved to be used for play.

Any other designation is that of a manufacturer and has no bearing in its use in any game.

Well ... Most fast pitch goes by an ASA approval ... But is best to say what rule set you are playing under before anyone can say for sure ... What MTR meant was that ASA approves a bat for play, it is up to you what game you use it in as long as ASA rules are being enforced ... A Bat approved for NSA or U trip but not ASA may be a non-approved but for NFHS, for instance ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Sun May 22, 2011 3:01 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:

Well ... Most fast pitch goes by an ASA approval ... But is best to say what rule set you are playing under before anyone can say for sure ... What MTR meant was that ASA approves a bat for play, it is up to you what game you use it in as long as ASA rules are being enforced ... A Bat approved for NSA or U trip but not ASA may be a non-approved but for NFHS, for instance ...

What I meant is exactly what I said. Regardless of the sanctioning body, if the bat is approved, it is approved for use. Any designation other than the approval is irrelevant.

In ASA, this may change because the non-approved bats may very well be different for SP than FP is they co exclusively to the 52/300 ball, which they have been testing in your neighborhood this weekend. But the SP/FP/Men's/Women's designation is still irrelevant.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon May 23, 2011 4:21 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:

What I meant is exactly what I said. Regardless of the sanctioning body, if the bat is approved, it is approved for use. Any designation other than the approval is irrelevant.

In ASA, this may change because the non-approved bats may very well be different for SP than FP is they co exclusively to the 52/300 ball, which they have been testing in your neighborhood this weekend. But the SP/FP/Men's/Women's designation is still irrelevant.

I know you meant what you said, but not sure the OP knew what they asked ... The OP did not state what rule set they were playing under ... So, for instance, a bat approved for NSA or U Trip is not neccessarily approved for ASA ... I have had gals show up at the field with bats stamped ' approved for softball ' ... IFA, NSA and the like ... The salesman at the store telling them they were legal etc etc ... The parents believing it and not fully understanding what does and what doesn't make a bat legal or non-approved ...

What is this new ball and how does it come off the bat ? Your thoughts ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Mon May 23, 2011 4:27 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:What is this new ball and how does it come off the bat ? Your thoughts ?

The ball will fly off the bat, but at a slower speed. Though the main purpose of development was to find a ball that would negate the effect of some hot bats, it has also proven to be safer.

As has been noted before and questioned without supporting evidence, the impact of the ball to a player is the difference between a possible fractured skull and a bad bruise. Yes, drastic comparison, but just repeating what I have been told by reps. I have talked to pitcher who have taken them off the shin and even they were surprised they could continue playing.

Those in SP must now actually hit the ball for a home run instead of a pop-up that "accidentally" clears a 300' fence. IOW, players who relied on the bat to provide the power will now have to learn how to hit. However, HR hitters will still hit the ball a ton which was proven last year when TeamUSA member Brian Wegman, using a wood bat, hit the ball over the light standards on a 300'+ field in Cincinnati.

The safety factor would be a plus for FP, but due to the ball flattening out a bit more than the present ball, I don't know what type of affect that would have on a slapped ball driven into the ground.
MTR

Return to The Umpire Corner