Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

play at homeplate

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by triplecrown » Fri May 27, 2011 12:03 pm

tcannizzo wrote:By rule, OBS requires that a runner is impeded by defender without ball; NOT just that the defender without the ball is blocking plate/base. Happens every day at the plate, and never called, see it sometimes on bases but not often

Every situation is different and surely HTBT, but if R is approaching plate (or any base for that matter) and she sees it is being blocked by a defender who is not in possession/control of the ball, that runner should make it "perceptible" that she is being impeded by said defender.
Just curious, as a runner sprinting down the line, how would one suggest said runner make it "perceptible" to show OBS at any base ESPECIALLY at the plate. As a runner your trying to score, not stop and bump catcher and ask for OBS, doesnt happen

OBS will not be called if Ump does not see perceptible impediment which can be the case many times if R simply makes a minor adjustment in her chosen base path.
been a part of and watched hundreds and hundreds of games, NEVER have I seen OBS at the plate
triplecrown

by fasterpitch92701 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Well... triplecrown... I guess we haven't been at the same games. I have seen it many times. Really. And not only at home but at 2nd (particularly). How do I know? Two broken metacarpals and a broken knuckle, surgery, lots of titanium screws and rehab. All because an incompetent, "I be bad" 18G player at a Surf City event decided that the ball wasn't necessary, jumped directly in front of DD on a headfirst slide, knees down and promoted... initiated.... created the collision.

Blue immediately called obstruction. SS's coach came out and did a limp apology and it didn't mean shi* to us as we were off to the hospital. My neutrality on that was... and still is... ahh..... nil. Or less.

Baseball is now reviewing obstruction based on what happened to Buster Posey. There are those (NOT you...) that will say "its part of the game"... to those I would respond that if you block the plate and the runner leaps at you with both feet, metal spikes extended, trying to create a situation... is that just "part of the game". Yes, I have seen that as well. In pro baseball the typical excuse is that it's an effort to dislodge the ball. Ok, but try to explain the difference between that tact and rollerball (1975, James Cann). Malicious intent is... malicious intent. There are rational limits to everything. As with all issues, there is the pendelum swing... at either end of the extreme "bad" happens and somewhere near the middle usually is a "good" thing.

I do wish blues would call obstruction more often when it happens. Sadly, failure to do so promotes the opportunity for injury and does nothing to enhance the sport. Aggressive play is good. Abusive play is not. And... yes, DD will be playing college ball next year as a.... catcher. And the irony has not been lost on me.

Apologies to you for my rant. It's not "at you", rather, "at the situation". Really.
fasterpitch92701

by tcannizzo » Fri May 27, 2011 1:08 pm

triplecrown wrote:
tcannizzo wrote:By rule, OBS requires that a runner is impeded by defender without ball; NOT just that the defender without the ball is blocking plate/base. Happens every day at the plate, and never called, see it sometimes on bases but not often

Every situation is different and surely HTBT, but if R is approaching plate (or any base for that matter) and she sees it is being blocked by a defender who is not in possession/control of the ball, that runner should make it "perceptible" that she is being impeded by said defender.
Just curious, as a runner sprinting down the line, how would one suggest said runner make it "perceptible" to show OBS at any base ESPECIALLY at the plate. As a runner your trying to score, not stop and bump catcher and ask for OBS, doesnt happen

OBS will not be called if Ump does not see perceptible impediment which can be the case many times if R simply makes a minor adjustment in her chosen base path.
been a part of and watched hundreds and hundreds of games, NEVER have I seen OBS at the plate

I have called it many times.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by PDad » Fri May 27, 2011 4:10 pm

triplecrown wrote:
tcannizzo wrote:... Every situation is different and surely HTBT, but if R is approaching plate (or any base for that matter) and she sees it is being blocked by a defender who is not in possession/control of the ball, that runner should make it "perceptible" that she is being impeded by said defender.

Too many runners come around 3B and set a course for going around the catcher - this is not perceptible.

IMHO, runner should set a course straight for the plate because they don't know when the throw will arrive or where it will take the catcher. Many catchers will move out of the way when they see the throw isn't going to get there in time. If the runner beats the throw and the catcher doesn't get out of the way - a late move by the runner to avoid the catcher is perceptible and should draw the OBS call.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri May 27, 2011 4:17 pm

Blaa blaa blaa ...repeatitive blaa blaa ( speaking of me cuz I say this all the freakin' time, to which MTR sez " OBS and INT are easy calls " :lol: ) ... OBS and INT are two of the *least called and least understood by coaches, fans & umpires ... :o

* the others IMO ; pitching violations, look back rule, DP-Flex ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Fri May 27, 2011 6:21 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Blaa blaa blaa ...repeatitive blaa blaa ( speaking of me cuz I say this all the freakin' time, to which MTR sez " OBS and INT are easy calls " :lol: ) ... OBS and INT are two of the *least called and least understood by coaches, fans & umpires ... :o

Years of experience and I do not have a problem with either. Nor do I have a problem teaching them. And it is simple and easy to understand if you actually take the time to learn the rule and everything involved in it. Part of the problem is people think they read a paragraph and they KNOW the rule. An umpire who accepts and utilizes the training available should not have a problem with either call.

And then you have those people who only have baseball as a personal reference and think it is just part of the game. Tell that to Buster Posey. Scott Cousins wasn't trying to reach the plate, he was trying to hit Posey with as much force as humanly possible without hurting himself. That's not baseball, it is UFC. This is one place where softball is way ahead of the morons that think it is good ball to rough up the opponent.

BTW, I have seen OBS called at the plate at least three times at the plate in the laste couple years in NCAA championship play. I see it because I'm looking for it, however, many often don't see the OBS call because it is a non-issue when the runner reaches the plate/base. An umpire looks at everything differently than fans/coaches/players because their tasks and priorities are different.
MTR

by tcannizzo » Fri May 27, 2011 6:50 pm

PDad wrote:
triplecrown wrote:
tcannizzo wrote:... Every situation is different and surely HTBT, but if R is approaching plate (or any base for that matter) and she sees it is being blocked by a defender who is not in possession/control of the ball, that runner should make it "perceptible" that she is being impeded by said defender.

Too many runners come around 3B and set a course for going around the catcher - this is not perceptible.

Hence no OBS.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by fasterpitch92701 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:35 pm

MTR, good post
fasterpitch92701

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat May 28, 2011 3:22 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:Blaa blaa blaa ...repeatitive blaa blaa ( speaking of me cuz I say this all the freakin' time, to which MTR sez " OBS and INT are easy calls " :lol: ) ... OBS and INT are two of the *least called and least understood by coaches, fans & umpires ... :o

Years of experience and I do not have a problem with either. Nor do I have a problem teaching them. And it is simple and easy to understand if you actually take the time to learn the rule and everything involved in it. Part of the problem is people think they read a paragraph and they KNOW the rule. An umpire who accepts and utilizes the training available should not have a problem with either call.

Agree 100% ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner