Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

ASU vs A&M - interference or not?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by artomatic » Fri May 27, 2011 7:42 am

I thought the runner interfered, and should have been called for the last out.
It looked to me like the ss flinched as the runner ran in front of her and jumped.
What is the actual rule?
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dodgerblue » Fri May 27, 2011 7:48 am

I thought it was interference too but the rule makes sense, the SS should've made contact with the runner.
dodgerblue

by hit4power » Fri May 27, 2011 10:31 am

I thought it was INT when it happened, but after seeing the replay I'm less sure of that. This play and the non-call is getting a lot of debate on the umpiring website. The focus is on whether the runner deliberately stopped (or hesitated) in front of F6 and if so, does that constitute INT under NCAA rules. The ruleset is pretty clear that running in front of the fielder, however distracting that might be, is not INT. However, if a runner stops, waits until the ball is right there, and then takes off again, do you have INT?
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Coach Dale » Fri May 27, 2011 10:58 am

The umpire made the right call.. I think what the umpire(s) saw last night was the runner stopped to see where the ball was going, the ball was then coming at the runner and she was making an attempted to get out of the way when she took off again and ran in front of the short stop. Either way, it was for sure controversial and could have just as easily gone the other way.

BUT if you watch real close, it looks like the umpire missed a different call... Looks like Boyd might have left early....

http://www.ncaa.com/video/softball/2011 ... 2611asutam
Coach Dale

by 1bzymom » Fri May 27, 2011 11:22 am

I saw it as excellent base running.
"After the game, they only want to know 2 things: carls jr. or taco bell. If they want to talk about why they swung at the riseball in the 3rd they will talk to you..in the mean time..shush!!" Sue Enquist
1bzymom

by MTR » Fri May 27, 2011 5:22 pm

Spazsdad wrote:NCAA rules are different than ASA. While you have this:

9.5.4 Once the pitch has crossed the plate, offensive team personnel may not
interfere with a fielder who has a reasonable chance to make a play within
the field of play.

There are these:

12.19.1.4.2 Merely running in front of the fielder or jumping over the
ball while proceeding to the next base is not interference, even
though it may be distracting to the fielder or screen her view of the
ball. The runner may not at any time unnecessarily wave her arms
or verbally distract the fielder.

A runner is NOT out if:
12.11.10 When she runs behind or in front of the fielder and outside the base line in order to avoid interfering with a fielder attempting to field the ball in the base path.

No different than ASA's. Based on the replay, it is just a runner advancing to 3B and avoiding being hit by the batted ball. The SS was not in a good position to field the ball.
MTR

by Crabby_Bob » Sat May 28, 2011 9:20 am

Coach Dale wrote:[snip] Looks like Boyd might have left early....

No doubt about it.

A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by ajaywill » Tue May 31, 2011 11:33 am

Something else that needs to be taken into account is the level of play.

At 10u, 12u, or 14u, this play will probably result in an interference call almost every time.

At 16u or 18u, it may or may not get the interference call.

At the NCAA level, this play will probably not result in a call most of the time.

The "philosophy" at the NCAA level is that contact is almost always required for an interference call. This is what the coaches at that level want.

Even with the replay, it's hard to tell if there was contact between the runner and the fielder. My assumption is that the 3BU would have been looking directly down the baseline and had a good look at the play with a view between the two players. I think the no-call was the right call.
ajaywill

by INBLUE » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:02 am

It was interference. Missed call. Umpires at WCWS have had tough week.
INBLUE

by ajaywill » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:00 am

INBLUE wrote:... Umpires at WCWS have had tough week.

Why do you say that?
ajaywill

Return to The Umpire Corner